CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Alaska (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/)
-   -   What to do with spear time... (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/248218-what-do-spear-time.html)

Zc May 7th, 2005 04:48 PM

What to do with spear time...

I'm asking for any suggestions of what to do with our spear time before and after our excursions. We have the following times open:

Jeneau 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. (we are booked for Glacier Trek 1-5:30). Is the Trem worth the time and money?

Skagway 7:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m. (we are booked with Seatheast Tours Yukon horseback riding at 10:30)

Ketchikan - we're doing a two hour Misty Fjords flight and flexible with the time. Is there a must see. How long does it take to tour the town?

Our cruise is scheduled for May 14th.

Thanks!!!

CeCe May 7th, 2005 09:26 PM

Re: What to do with spear time...

The Alaska State Museum looks good and has unique looking gift shop. We are going to visit the St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church and probably even try one of the trolley tours. We also "thought" about the Glacier Gardens Rainforest tours. www.glaciergardens.com they have a "golf cart" style train to take you through the garden. AND the Red Dog Saloon. Hope this helps

We, too, have booked the Yukon horseback riding. It sounds terrific. Our cruise is first week of August.

Enjoy your trip.

Karen16 May 8th, 2005 09:18 AM

Pick up walking tour maps, these will give you a concise tour of the towns. All are cities are walking distance from the cruise docks. In Skagway definately get to the Park Service visitor center http://www.nps.gov/klgo/schedule.htm

Yes the tram is worthwhile in Juneau- if visability is clear. There is no point doing the Juneau trolley tour, everything is walkable- without mobility limitations. It doesn't sound like the above has been there yet???

Ketchikan is an excellent walking city. Plenty to see and do, at min. head back to Creek St. take a look at the wonderful totems, take the funicular up to the Fox Westmark- beautiful totems out back, then either take the "married Man's trail" back down or the funicular. Excellent souveniers in Ketchikan and there is a Walmart shuttle, big Alaska department- if you want to invest the time. (good for picking up snacks/soda etc).

irismike May 8th, 2005 04:49 PM

Karen: Any recommendations on what to buy and should you buy it in Walmart? Are there prices about the same as the other stores in Ketchikan. We wait to buy salmon (cans) and ulul knives. Any suggestions? Also what is Apple Jack? Thanks

CeCe May 8th, 2005 09:44 PM

Karen,
You are right, haven't been to Alaska yet. Thinking of the trolley as a means of transportation, but you say it's walkable so we'll walk!!! Thanks for the extra info always on the look out for unique things to do!

Zc May 9th, 2005 04:26 AM

Where is the Alaska State Museum and St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church?

With my time in Juneau being from 6 - 9 p.m., would I have enough time to ride the Trem and also visit the Red Dog Saloon?

I won't change my excursion in Juneau (helicopter glacier trek), but I can't help to feel that I am missing out on a whale watching tour.

Sorry for all of the questions, but if you could help me with one more. Our ship leaves on Saturday, May 14th and we are flying into Seattle on Friday, May 13th (yes, Friday the 13th). Would you suggest driving to Vancouver on Friday afternoon, or early Saturday morning?

Thanks everyone for all of your help.

Radiance - May 14th!!!!!!

Karen16 May 9th, 2005 04:00 PM

Walmart has the cheapest prices on the basics?? All your souvenier stuff from books, candy, postcards, tshirts, trinkets etc etc etc. Alaska Jack are chocolate candy bars, about $1.50/bar very nice artwork on the wrapper. Be VERY selective on the ULU, there are many made in China products. The Alaska State Museum is right downtown, the cemetery is farther away, past the Govenor's house. Head to your library or bookstore. and pick up Frommer's Alaska, Fodor's Alaska, a good downtown map and walking tour guide is enclosed.

You need to get going now with your plans if you are leaving this weekend ( I am too).

As I have mentioned, you are adding at least an hour of shuttle time, if you do not combo book your helicopter and whale watch. If you don't care about the extra time, perhaps use it to get lunch on the ship, then head back out. BUT you may at this time, have to book a ship whale tour, which I would look to do so now. Do you have accomadations for Friday night??? I'll assume you already have your car lined up for a downtown Vancouver return (NOT airport)? Again, you need them. Myself, I stay in Bellingham, 2 hours north of Seattle then an hour+++ to Vancouver. Offers far less wait in border lines if you get going in the morning by 10am and a little sightseeing of Vancouver. Be sure to have a downtown Vancouver map. ALL city driving to port.