CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Alaska (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/)
-   -   Ketchikan (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/248230-ketchikan.html)

Mike K. May 10th, 2005 06:12 PM

Ketchikan

We were in Ketchikan 2 years ago. However, we were only in port @6 hours, we did the lumber jack show and shopped. We are going with some friends this June and are in port 8-10 Hours. We were wondering what else we can do, My wife will get in trouble if she shops for 10 hours. We have planned several excursions in other ports so we were going to wing it in Ketchikan.

What is the deal with the town that seems to be right on some river?

Any reccomendations would be greatly appreciated!!

Sea Trekker May 10th, 2005 08:26 PM

Re: Ketchikan

Do the Misty Fjords float plane tour. There are several there. We booked with Sea Wind Aviation. They have a good reputation and pricing. email me direct and I will give you there phone number and address in Ketchikan

JUGL11 May 10th, 2005 10:12 PM

Take a Duck boat ride, stroll Creek St. (don't miss Dolly's House, best $4 you'll ever spend) & definitely check out Saxman Native Village - you can do that on your own.

Karen16 May 11th, 2005 06:58 AM

My opinion, I don't recommend Saxman without a tour guide. You gain much more with the commentary vs just looking at the totems. AND there are plenty of totems right in Ketchikan if that is all you wish? Requst their visitor guide www.visit-ketchikan.com Pick up a walking tour map at the dock visitor center. Top choice here, I agree is a Misty Fjord floatplane, I have gone with Southeast Aviation, Carlin Air and Island Wings, Fishing is also an excellent choice, my family has gone out with Northern Lights.

Lisa May 14th, 2005 09:41 AM

Can someone please expand my knowledge about Misty Fjords? WHY is it SO great, and so worth the extra money? My husband and I are on Diamond Princess Jul 23 and the stop in Ketchikan is short - 5 hours. If we do Misty Fjords, that's ALL we'll be able to do because of the cost. I understand that Misty Fjords is beautiful and remote - but visually, is it that much greater than the rest of the scenery we'll be seeing? I don't want to miss something truly moving and spectacular, but our travel dollars are limited, and this represents a substantial expense for us. I'd love to hear what made it worth it for you.

Ford_Racing_Ron May 14th, 2005 10:05 AM

My opinion,,for what its worth. I took a 14 day cruisetour through Alaska and the yukon which included 4 nights on the ship, one port of call was Ketchikan. I heard so much about the Mysties I felt I had to go. As a side note, I met a lady here in the lower 48 and she said that was the number one thing to do there,,,she lived there for 14 years,

I booked with Seawind aviation and I will say,,yes it does look different then other parts of Alaska, at least the parts I had seen. The cliffs are pretty steep due to the glalciers cutting and running,,it does look different,,so many lakes. Plus the plane will land on a lake, and we were there with no other planes (I don't know if planes use the same lakes or not) and the scenery was incredible. we got out and walked around for about 20-25 minutes. Complete isolation,,something different for a city boy from Los Angeles.

We also spotted some bear from the air and went down low and circled them for a while.

After treking across the land for the few days we did, my wife (who is scared to death of small planes but loved this (Steve is a real good,,very smooth pilot) she said it was the highlight of the trip for her.

If interested, email me off ine and I can link you with some pictures I have stored on line. It may give you and idea. Ron

Sea Trekker May 16th, 2005 06:42 AM

Ford racing ron:
Thanks for your insight to the misty fjords.
I'm glad we booked early. I know it is popular trip.
we are excited to be going to Alaska in June.
Have booked as many shore tours as we can get in while in port.