Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 12th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Beginner

Default Vancouver HAL

We are in the midst of making the basic decisions for a 2006 RT Vancouver cruise. From reading message boards I narrowed it down to HAL or Princess -- now that I 've decided on Vancouver and not Seattle it appears my decision is HAL as Princess does NOT do RT Vancouver -- is this correct?

My TA says the HAL 2006 Alaska pricing is not out yet -- true?

ALSO --- from reading boards it seems the "top" cabin choice would be an aft balcony? Do you all agree? Anyone been on the Zaandam or Volendam? What level would be best to request? We are totally flexible with dates so the deciding factor would be when we could get our first choice cabin --- any help from those who know the decks?

Thanks so much!
gici
Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker
Default Re: Vancouver HAL

Hello Gici,
We like HAL and have been on many of their ships. We will be sailing June 1 Vancouver RT inside passage.
If you have been on other lines and like a certain area of the ship, have your TA get a guaranteed cabin in that catagory. I like the aft cabins as they are close to the pool. but in Alaska the pool is not used. the enclosed pool in the center ship by the Lido would be a good choice with any cabins. We always book balcony, but this time deceided to just have a window/porthole. It will be cold at night. Being that we are climatized to Florida any thing below 60* is cold to us. The Vancouver departure and return is better as the distance will be less time and more time in the ports.
I hope my thoughts have helped you with a decision.
Old May 13th, 2005, 06:42 AM
Admiral

True, Princess does not do round trip Vancouver.
Old May 13th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Ford_Racing_Ron

I was on the Volendam last year. I had a balcony. I would suggest close to a stairwell as there are a high number of older cruisers and sometimes the elevators get jammed up stopping on every deck. My cabin was toward the bow but my guess would be the aft part of the ship is better. Some people we were with were right in the front and they could hear the showroom when the shows were going on. I could no hear the showrrom (cabin 6118) but I was right under the bathrooms for the showroom and during select moments the toilets were going non stop. there was a pipe that ran down the backside of our balcony so you could tell when a show was over,,,it was working overtime.

but the Vol is a beautiful ship, the service was outstanding,,I think you'll really like it.
Old May 17th, 2005, 05:23 PM
GiCi

Thanks for the practical advice! That is just what I need to hear to make informed choices!
Old May 19th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Passenger

I just got back from a cruise on the Volendam - great ship. We had a window not a balcony but I really can't see why it would make a difference other than the higher you go in the ship the more movement you get. The center of the ship on any level would be the most stable and closer to the elevators and stairs - those hallways are looooong!