Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 16th, 2005, 06:31 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to DalTX
Default RAIN

I see its been raining about 15 days straight in our 3 ports (Juneau,Skagway,Ketchican).On most days it says 40,60,and 100% ! Anyone living in these ports that could elaborate on this?? I dont mind a little rain,but I find I start getting depressed when it rains for long periods of time.Whats it really doing,any breaks coming soon?? ..
Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2005, 06:37 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker
Default Re: RAIN

Understand that is the nature of Alaska. Lots of rain. Just think... if you want a rainbow you have to have some rain.
We are going in June and have packed 3 rain ponchos, 2 for us and one for the camera equipment.
Old May 16th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

What site are you going on to see the weather? Can you send it to me? Thanks. We are going in September
cheryl
Old May 16th, 2005, 03:26 PM
First Mate

Cheryl,Go to Weather.com,then put in Juneau Alaska (Ketchican and Skagway).The box is at the top of this page.It will pull up Juneaus weather,and in a little box that goes all the way across the page,it says 10 day..click on that.I booked marked Juneau and then I went to the same weather.com and put in Ketchican Alaska..did the same thing..then Skagway.You can either put in the zipcodes or the city,state name.Zips are 99801 and 99840

But I did hear from the locals that the weather has not bee bad..One poster said they were in Juneau,Skagway and Ketchican last week and there was a 40 yr record high of 75-78 with little rain.But,they did say they had VERY high seas on the way back.

So I will take a little rain,just cant take it non stop! Dot
Old May 16th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: RAIN

Thanks....I looked it up and unfortunately in September when I'm going, it is the second to highest month for rain! Oh brother.......I won't let it bother my time tho! I just hope the excursions we have picked will still be ok. We spent a bundle on them! One is the train ride and another float plane.
cheryl
Old May 17th, 2005, 10:20 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: RAIN

Cheryl,I was under the impression that May and Sept are the driest months.So,be glad your not going in June,July and August! ..I think its going to be great.Think just light mist! And dont forget your poncho! (Im taking a thin one in case it is just a light mist and then a heavy one in case its RAIN)
Old May 17th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: RAIN

Yes, I guess I will too --- I need to go get one! What excursions are you going on? Is this your first time in Alaska? It is mine
cheryl
Old May 17th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

My first cruise was to Alaska in 2nd week of Sept. 04. Experienced both sunny and overcast skies throughout the 7 days. It rained on a couple of days out to sea and some light misty rain while hiking in Sitka...but the big surprise was when we arrived in Ketchikan. The sky cleared and except for a few puffy clouds here and there it was a spectacular, picture perfect day. I had booked a float plane excursion with Island Wings for that day. Fantastic!
Old May 17th, 2005, 05:36 PM
tom m

I'm leaving Sunday for Vancouver - Whittier cruise on the Sun -

looks like we better pack a good umbrella.
Old May 17th, 2005, 10:16 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: RAIN

Cheryl

This is my first time to go to Alaska.We are on the Mercury leaving on May 27th.Im very excited! We are doing the helicopter/glacier trek in Juneau (already booked thrut the ship) and then we get done with that,we are going to take one of the buses that run every few mins from the pier,and go to the Salmon Bake.While there gonna hike back to the waterfall and then if its not too late,ride up the Mt Roberts Tram to see the view at the top! Someone said it closes at 9pm.I hope they are wrong since we leave at 11pm,that would not be much time.

In Skagway we are doing the White Pass Train and then just walk around town.

In Ketchican,we are doing the Misty Fjords Float Plane trip with Michelle and Island WIngs.What little time we have left,will just be walking around town.

How about you?
Old May 17th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: RAIN

Hi -- we are on the Spirt in September (surprise for my 25th anniv. that I'm giving my husband). We are (and are already booked excursions) going the Mendenhall Glacier and Wildlife Quest in Juneau; the White pass and yukan railway in Skagway (you will have to tell me all about it!!!) and Best of Ketchican tour in Ketchican. All booked online -- nothing cheap, but don't know if I'll ever be back -- so am going for gold. I have a digital camera with a memory card to hold about 300 pictures. I wonder if I should buy another??? Please please ------- email me when you get back. I want to hear everything!!
cheryl
Old May 17th, 2005, 10:53 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: RAIN

Cheryl,sounds like you have some great excursions planned! We had the same thoughts on the camera.We were going to take our laptop so that we could upload to it,but then I read that Celebrity will let you upload on their computers and then at the end of the cruise,they will make you a cd from your pics for $15.Someone said most of the ships do this for a price between $15-$25.So you might check into that.If you dont do that you might need more memory.Ive heard ppl take anywhere from 500 pics up.One good thing about the digital,if you dont like them,just delete them! I

I will let you know how the cruise turns out! We leave on the 25th and our cruise sails on the 27th,so not long now! I didnt think it would ever get here! Dot
Old May 18th, 2005, 05:30 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: RAIN

Have fun....let me know and I"ll be thinking of you!!
cheryl
Old May 19th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Passenger

The best advice is plan for rain and enjoy the trip either way. I got back yesterday from Alaska and the weather forecast said chance of rain or showers every day. We had a sudden, quick rainstorm in Skagway but it was great weather in Ketchican where it always rains. So don't believe the forecasts too much.
Old May 19th, 2005, 08:00 PM
weatherguy

Although their web site is slow, there is a wealth of weather information from the National Weather Service in Ancorage. Here is a link to their map from which you can get the zone forecast.

http://pafc.arh.noaa.gov/pubfcst.php

For maps, go to "TV Weather" on the left.

I'm a TV meteorologist in a major east coast city. The graphics like the ones that the weather channel uses often give the impression of total rain & gloom. Reading the forecast as text can often be better and provide more information and it's often not as bad as depicted. Coastal AK is however a very wet region and ketchikan receives around 160 inches a year!

We're going south on June 11 on the Island Princess and will bring rain gear. Whatever the weather is, if you have rain gear, you can just go out and enjoy yourself without being too concerned about rain.

Good luck and enjoy it.
Old May 20th, 2005, 04:50 PM
First Mate

The weather changes throughout the day. Even if it looks sunny when you get off the ship, bring at the very least a light rain jacket with a hood.

The locals said this has been a very dry and sunny spring, so I don't know where it was raining for three weeks. It wasn't in SE Alaska to any great extent.

Here was my experience from last week:

Thurs: Inside Passage--beautiful.

Friday: Juneau, so sunny down the Gastineau Channel I got hot and had to go inside. Then high clouds in Juneau, and later in the afternoon, drizzle.

Sat: Glacier Bay, rained all day until we were just leaving the Marjorie on our way out. Then beautiful.

Sun: Skagway: I got a sunburn. No kidding.

Mon: Ketchikan: Drizzle in the morning/early afternoon, clear and beautiful late afternoon, windy as heck early evening.

Tues: Alongside Vancouver Island: Beautiful, some early drizzle.

You really never know, just layer. But this time of year you shouldn't need a heavy coat at all except near the glaciers.

Carnival Spirit to Alaska
Old May 23rd, 2005, 03:52 PM
Admiral

For clairfication, Sept is a WET month, not dry. May is historically the driest. I just got off a ship yesterday, rain predicted for every day, only sprinkled in one port and most of the return Inside passage sailing.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:22 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: RAIN

oh ok..I read that may and sept were the driest somewhere...