Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 20th, 2005, 07:28 AM
Debbie Dangelo

Default More ? about dogs/helicopter tours

My family (myself, husband 2 boys 15 & 14) are going on the Princess 6/25 from Anchorage to Vancouver.

I've narrowed our choices down but have some more ?'s. I wanted to do (in Skagway) Alaska sled & dog/musher's camp & pilot's choice ice age odyssey so I could get the most out of each, problem if you do it separate you don't sled on ice. Should I do a combination? I'm worried you won't see as much on the helicopter tour if you combine both.

Also I think booking thru the cruise ship is filled as far as helicopter tours. Anyone know how I could book a reliable helicopter tour on my own? Someone mentioned Captain Larry. How do I go about this, I asked the cruise line they didn't know.

One more thing we are stopping at Juneau too but I was going to reserve a Whale Quest & Mendenhall Glacier (by water) tour it sounds like fun to see the glacier above and below.

What do you think? I really appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Debbie
Sponsored Links
Old May 20th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Ceil

Default Re: More ? about dogs/helicopter tours

Well, I f you do a search for what you want on Google, you will find more than you bargained for. Also if you type in the name of the city i.e. www.juneau.org, any city plus .org you will usually get their chamber of commerce or something close. I have read on the boards that the dog sledding excursion is the one that is cancelled the most, and the price I think is outrageous. Also try traveljuneau.com.

We have rented an SUV to use in Skagway to drive to Emerald lake. Only $114 and did it on my own. A lot cheaper to do it yourself than to book the ship excursions.
Ceil
Old May 23rd, 2005, 04:07 PM
Admiral

Cpt. Larry (Orca Enterprises) is not a helicopter company. If you want to book direct- out of Juneau is TEMSCO and Coastal. ERA sometimes directs books. Out of Skagway there is only TEMSCO. You do not need an SUV on the Klondike Highway a regular car via Avis is $65+++ There are also 3 independent car rentals. I just bought gas, $2.81/gal

I disagree- the glacier dog sledding gets consistant RAVES. If of interest, book it well worth the price. You will get plenty of ice views from your helicopter ride.
Old May 24th, 2005, 07:43 AM
Linda of NJ

Default Re: Re: More ? about dogs/helicopter tours

Although Captain Larry is not a helicopter tour, I did book my dog sled/helicopter trip through him. I guess he uses his connections and gets a commission. Don't know the company which it was booked through but I got billed from Captain Larry for the whale watch and dog sled/ helicopter trips. Just wanted to let you know
Old May 24th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Admiral

My point with direct booking is MORE INFORMATION available to you. I find it interesting you don't even know the company??? I'll place bets it's Coastal? Anyway- just my opinion- booking direct is easy in Alaska with the advantages of having any questions directly anwered etc. Orca Enterprises IS The way to book a combo whale watch and helicopter trip, saving an hour in shuttle time. Have a great time!!!
Old May 25th, 2005, 06:45 AM
Linda of NJ

Default Re: Re: More ? about dogs/helicopter tours

Hi Karen...I looked at my papers and the company for the dog/helicopter trip is COASTAL. For anyone interested Captain Larry (ORCA Enterprises) can be reached at 1-888-733-6722 . Website at alaskawhalewatching.com.

Karen..thanks for all the valuable information you have provided on this site. It has been through this site that I received enough information to book all of my side trips.
Old June 4th, 2005, 08:19 PM
tmc

Have you looked at shoretrips.com? We are using them for two excursions.
Old June 5th, 2005, 02:04 AM
Admiral

My opinion only, I do NOT recommend shoretrips for Alaska. They are only a booking agent and know little about the tours, have given wrong info in the past and screwed up timing. They book based on commissions.

My experience with them in the Caribbean was the same, I won't use them again.
Old June 6th, 2005, 09:55 PM
Bill Vaughn

Most of the dog sled trips are made on dirt in the summer. There is no snow at the lower elevations. There are dozens of companies that offer dog sled rides all over Alaska, Anchorage, Denali, Seward, etc. I really like the museum in Scagway. Also try to get some fresh halibut at a cafe there. Not to be missed.
Old June 11th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Familiar Face

Book flightseeing/dog sledding in Juneau using Coastal Helicopters. You will have an awesome experience with great personal service.