Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 22nd, 2005, 05:29 PM
Beginner

Default Bear excursion

We are interested in an excursion with bear platform viewing. RSSC offers this trip out of Ketchikan. We have a two days in Talkeetna (no Denali, but summit flight) and two days in Girdwood.

Does anyone know if the bear excursion can be done from either of these locations or should we go through the cruse line from Ketchikan? Recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2005, 05:13 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Bear excursion

WHEN are you going? Your only likely "sure bet" is Anan out of Ketchikan from late July- late August, Traitors Cove a week or so later, same with Neets Bay.

Not likely any viewing out of Talkeetna or Girdwood, but possible with an all day Anchorage flight?

Independent operators are plenty, look at Southeast Aviation, Island Wings. www.visit-ketchikan.com has listings. Go with who has the space.
Old May 24th, 2005, 06:53 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Bear excursion

Our trip is 8/20-8/24 land. 2 days Talkeetna and 2 days Girdwood with RSSC from 8/24 -8/31.

Want to do a summit flight in Talkeetna - have not picked an operator yet. Seems like there are several options.

We are doing Capt Larry whale watching in Juneau.

Then the bear viewing takes 2nd priority with our group of 4. Trying to find the best option and best chance of seeing wildlife.

Also looking for recommended options out of Girdwood. They mention mushing as an area activity. That is another high priority for us.

I appreciate your feedback.
Old May 24th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Admiral

The only summit flight operator out of Talkeetna is Talkeetna Aero. You need to book that NOW. If I understand you, you are on a land tour with no independent transportation? The Ayleska Hotel has some tours to consider? Are you staying there?
Old May 26th, 2005, 08:28 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Bear excursion

We are doing 4 days prior on our own with rental car. Which will barely give us a sample of the land.

2 days Talkeetna Lodge and 2 days Alyeska Hotel Lodge. Both look like great properties - booked those last year. I will take your advice and get the Talkeetna Aero scheduled.

Thanks!
Old May 26th, 2005, 11:54 PM
Admiral

Frankly with your short time I would NOT stay 2 nights in Girdwood, there isn't much in the area unless you are an intense hiker. PWS boat tours do not require a stay in the area. Instead I would definately consider Seward instead, far more to see and do, way more activity and dining options.
Old May 29th, 2005, 11:42 PM
Passenger

Hello,
I am going to be in Ketchican in August and have signed up for the two bear watching excursions that the Regal Princess is offering. Trying to decide which one is better. Any information ?
Thanks , Marjorie
Old May 30th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Admiral

Which 2 are they???? Anan is superior to Traitor's Cove and Neets Bay. You are better off booking independent, a little cheaper, but direct answers to any questions.
Old June 6th, 2005, 11:41 PM
Bill Vaughn

There are no bear viewing excursions out of Girdwood, which is an Anchorage suburb almost, and none that I know of out of Talkeetna. I would suggest you go to the Alaska Game and Fish commission website and look up bear viewing. The most popular areas are across Cook Inlet from Homer and Anchorage, a short plane flight, but some of these require reservations and they even have an annual drawing to permit a small group to fly in. Almost any of the companies that specialize in bear viewing will have prices and daily flights. I think the bear viewing down in the Ketchican area is probably pretty good as there area some wilderness areas, although I drove to Hyder, Alaska and saw the only grzzly I ever saw in the wild in Alaska. For that matter, most of the Alaska natives I ever met had never seen a brown bear or a grizzly in the wild. They are not that common.