Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 25th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Passenger

Default Skagway train-which side?

I know somewhere I read that there is a preference to which side of the train to sit on. Can you tell me again and why the preference?
Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Skagway train-which side?

I didn't think it made a difference, you get to sit on the other side on the way back..I also enjoyed standing outside on the platform.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 25th, 2005, 08:52 AM
Admiral

If you can, try and sit on the left side going up. Why the difference? On the right side you will be looking at the side of a mountain. The tracks are carved into the hillside. The reason it does make a differnce is that going up you will be able to see and follow the narration . Going down you will be able to see, but, there will be no narration .
Old May 25th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Admiral

It DOES make a difference. From Skagway sit on the left facing the engine, from White Pass sit on the right. The significant reason- MOST of the commentary is on the way UP the pass, from Skagway. It is far BETTER to be able to see what they are taking about at the time, instead of constantly jumping up from your seat to see.
Old June 6th, 2005, 12:04 AM
Maddog

I just returned from my Alaskan curise. Yes, you get most of the commentary on the way up, making the left side the best for the first part of the trip. But not many people spent much time sitting. Most of us spent time rotating on and off the platforms and standing inside the cars looking at what was being talked about by the commentator.

On the way back down there was a lot of repeat commentary with new information added.
Old June 6th, 2005, 10:08 PM
S Waltz

We just returned from Alaska...we did the 4:30 train ride. The train was almost empty and about ten of us had an entire car to ourselves. We weren't fighting for a space outside (there's not much room outside!) and we all got a window view on the way up or down. We had plenty of time to get back to our ship for departure.

We did a hike and float in the morning and it was AWESOME!!! I would recommend both.

S Waltz
Old June 6th, 2005, 11:59 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to DalTX

Someone had told us to sit by the bathroom and that way you have the same seat going and coming,which we did,but we still had to change sides,so maybe our car was different from others.But,it made NO difference since it was family on both sides and we didnt mind triping on each other if there was something out that we wanted to see....I would still recommend this seating area though,since you do have room to stand between the seat and the stove.I went outside a lot,so I loved having the stove there and on.Each car had the choice of weather or not they wanted to keep the stove on.It was VERY cold outside even with hat,gloves,layers and a down jacket,so the stove was nice to come in and warm up to.We had about a min and a half of mist,other than that,the weather was wonderful! Dot
Old June 16th, 2005, 02:41 AM
Ceil

As the train pulls out, you should be the left side so you can experience the direct drop down the cliffs from the train. Personally I would vomit the whole time!