Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 26th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Don M

Default murryays highway log

Hi
Saw several posts refering to Murray Klodike Highway Log, Does anyone have a copy? We want to rent a car In Skagway.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Old May 26th, 2005, 10:56 PM
Admiral

Default Re: murryays highway log

Make sure you book that car NOW. Everyone wants to rent. Avis has less than 25 cars. Get Murray's log at his web site www.explorenorth.com under the South Klondike Highway.
Old June 6th, 2005, 11:01 PM
Bill Vaughn

You may have a problem renting a car in Skagway. Skagway is a very, very small town, population 100 in winter. As soon as you drive out of town, you have to cross into Canadian customs. I really am not sure why would want to rent a car in that neck of the woods anyhow. There is almost no place you can drive. You go from Scagway to Whitehorse. Whitehorse to Dawson City etc. Greyhound runs up to Whitehorse and there is bus service from Scagwau to Whitehorse. I am not familar with Murray's highway log. Just about everybody who drives Alaska-Canada uses The Milepost, sold at Barnes and Noble, etc.
Old June 7th, 2005, 06:44 PM
First Mate

Don -

Here is the direct link to the photo log of the trip from Skagway to Emerald Lake. As I have been reading, it is the journey rather than the destination.

http://www.explorenorth.com/library/...e-photos1.html

Definitely rent a car ASAP. Our group has 12 making the drive, and did not want to use a van (easier to get in and out of a four-door car). Therefore we reserved three cars from Avis (online) and also called to verify with the Skagway Avis office directly about a month ago. The photos shared by recent cruisers look terrific, and we are very excited about this excursion! We'll be making the drive next week while in port in Skagway.
Old June 11th, 2005, 08:31 AM
Pooh Bear

Absolutely one of the best things to do while in Skagway - we reserved a car about 6 mos. in advance. Easy walking distance from dock to (think it was Avis or Hertz) rental agency.

Murray's Milepost marker guide is an ABSOLUTE MUST for this drive. It's invaluable - you'll know exactly what you are looking at when you stop at specific mile markers along the road to Emerald Lake. This is probably the ONLY place I'd actually want to rent a car during an Alaska cruise.