Old May 27th, 2005, 09:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default Don't laugh at this question but,

OK -- call me stupid, but don't laugh. With all the cruising and the 'icebergs' in Alaska, how do they miss them and not hit icebergs and/or hurt the ship in any way?
cheryl
Old May 27th, 2005, 11:18 PM
L&S80

Default Re: Don't laugh at this question but,

Sometimes they do hit the icebergs........but they know they are there & carefully navigate them......that's why they can't always get into the glaciers........it is a AWESOME sight!!!! All that blue ice.......

Sharon

Old May 27th, 2005, 11:24 PM
Admiral

After watching Titanic........just don't want to swim in that cold water!! ......can't wait to see that Blue Ice (I can't even imagine it!). Going in September!
cheryl
Old May 27th, 2005, 11:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

They steer clear of heavy ice floes.....our ship, the Summit did rub up against a bit of ice at Hubbard Glacier........noisy, but didn't hurt a thing. Alaska law requires pilots trained to take ships into narrow inlets and a lot of ports as well as into sensitive areas such as glaciers today. I'm not sure when they started requiring this, but I think it was after the Valdez oil spill. We had several instances where a pilot boarded our ship to lead us into a port and into Hubbard Glacier.....it's quite interesting to watch them come aboard.

Old May 28th, 2005, 06:41 AM
Admiral

Ships are built now different than the titanic. First off they are sailing slow and just push off the ice. One of the most active glaciers is the Columbia- I sail up there every year. Ice bigger than houses and the bay completely full with ice. But I went with Stan Stephens last year and made it up very close to the glacier, sailing through at least a mile of ice. Great experience!!!
Old May 29th, 2005, 01:08 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Don't laugh at this question but,

I bet it was an experience. I know when we went on the Conquest, they also had someone board the ship (after leaving from a smaller ship) to navigate down the mouth of the Mississippi.
cheryl
Old May 30th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Becky Bear

Many people when they think of Alaska, think there are icebergs in all of our waters a la the North Atlantic in Titanic. But as the previous writers have indicated, the time that ships encounter icebergs is when they go to areas that are the face of the glaciers. Then they do go slow.

The world of icebergs is a very different place than it was in the days of the Titanic. In the early days of Juneau there were icebergs that floated in the channel right in front of the town and they would use boats to ease them over onto land to use the ice for refrigeration. In the last hundred years the glaciers have significantly retreated and we don't have idebergs coming into town.

Becky Bear
http:www,AlaskaPersonalTours.com
Old May 30th, 2005, 10:42 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Don't laugh at this question but,

I can't wait. It is going to be so different from the blue carribbean where you just cruise on by at a good clip. I was hesitant on going on the Alaska cruise because of this -- but I am sure I will not regret it!
cheryl
Old June 6th, 2005, 10:32 PM
Bill Vaughn

Your question is not stupid. I used to think Alaska had igloos and polar bears. The natives never lived in igloos; they used used them as emergency shelters when out hunting. And polar bears are only above the artic circle (near Prudhoe Bay, Nome). Alaska rivers mostly are frozen solid in the winter, but the ice never gets the size of the icebergs. By the time breakup takes place in the spring, the little icebergs melt. Some big icebergs go occasionally break off of glaciers but not enough to be a hazard to navigation.
Old June 6th, 2005, 10:52 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to DalTX

When we went thru Hubbard Glacier a few days ago,Mercury cruised right thru most of it.They lowered one of the lifeboats and collected some chunks of ice to carve! I loved cruising thru,but nothing compared with the 2 hr trek on the glacier!! It was so beautiful and we poured out that "comtaminated " bottled water they gave us and filled it with that wonderful COLD glacier water! It was SO good! Dot