Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 12th, 2005, 02:23 AM
Passenger

Default Salmon Bake Tour, can we see the hatchery, too?

We are choosing between just the salmon bake tour AND a salmon bake/hatchery/mendenhall tour.

one is $32 the other is $65.
if i just do the salmon bake will we see the hatcher, too.
i'm thinking of just doing the mendenhall on our own.

thnak
Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Salmon Bake Tour, can we see the hatchery, too?

The hatchery is 3 miles from Downtown Juneau, a long walk, but a city bus stop and cheap cab if you have to see it. It has a small visitor area and a big salmon ladder. this is not where Gold Creek salmon bake is. You can easily do the bake on your own, continous loop bus from the dock. Mendenhall can be gotten to via the SHUTTLE bus round trip $10pp plus $3 for the visitor center if desired. MGT runs a very good Mendenhall glacier city tour, with is similar to your listing for $20. Allows about 30-45 min. at the glacier. More than enough time unless you are into hiking.
Old June 14th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Maddog

I took the combo excursion to see all three. I didn't feel the hour allowed at Mendehnall Glacier was enough time. The glacier visitor center/gift shop was crowded and the line to the movie was long. Between the two you could spend over an hour inside the center. Now for the real reason for the excursion - seeing the glacier. There's a brisk 15 min walk you can take to get much closer to the glacier and a beautiful big and wide glacier runoff waterfall. The problem is you don't have time to do both the visitor center and the walk to the waterfall and a closer look at the glacier. Next time I'll get my own way to Mendenhall Glacier. If all you want is a distant view, which is a very good view, the tour is okay. But I asked myself why I came all that way and wasn't allowed the time to take it all in. Keep in mind when I say a brisk 15 min walk, I mean it's a good workout. If the idea of taking a quick walk up 4 or 5 floors would be a major workout and leave you winded for half an hour, you'll be late for the bus.

The hatchery was an interesting stop, but unless the salmon are running it's not worth the expense. All you get to see is the empty ladder, a few big holding tanks of 2 - 3 inch salmon, and, surprise - surprise, another gift shop. (You'll see way to many gift shops, both on and off the ship.)

On the way to the salmon bake I was questioning why I opted for that excursion after having had salmon in a couple different ways on the Island Princess in the prior days. After I was there and enjoying the meal I sure was glad I did. It was the best meal I had ashore, including the land and rail portion of my trip. The salmon wa great. I didn't bother with the ribs or chicken, just had my fill of salmon. Oh yeah, another gift shop was made available for you to spend some time. You get to stay as long as you like at the bake. Busses depart every 15 min to take you back to the ship. I wish that was an option at the glacier.

Enjoy your trip.
Old June 15th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Admiral

The salmon bakes in Alaska NO WAY compare to anything you eat on the ship. But my top salmon bake is Thane Ore in Juneau. They do shuttle from the docks.