Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 15th, 2005, 08:35 PM
adamv

Default Mt. Roberts Juneau

Has anyone hiked up Mt. Roberts in Juneau. We are thinking of doing this instead of taking the tram. How long would it take to climb up to the observation point where the tram lets you off? Is it a difficult climb?

Also, how much is the taxi ride to Mendenhall glacier as we are not interested in doing an organized tour. I have heard there are blue buses that can take you there for $10 return-are these walking distance from the port.

Thanks,
Adam
Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Mt. Roberts Juneau

There are 3 bus Co. that offer 1 way rides to mendenhall for $5.00 per. If you buy just a 1 way ticket to the glacier your not stuck waitng for that particular company to return. You can then hope any bus any pay $5.00 to the driver directly to return downtown.
It's close to 25 miles to the glacier from town if I remember correctly, so the bus would be a much cheaper way to go if there are only a couple people going.

Can't help about Mt. Roberts, when we were there last Tuesday, they were having trouble with the tram doors not wanting to open. I heard some were stuck for up to 30 minutes. We opted not to go up. The cost if you decide not to hike was $23.95 per, and the ticket is good all day.
Old June 16th, 2005, 01:32 AM
Ceil

Adam,
Definitely take the $10 round trip shuttle to the glacier. It is beautiful! Make sure to hike to the waterfall as well. The earlier you can get there the better! The shuttle is right off the ship. Stay away from the huge buses!

By the way, there is no way you could hike up the mountain! We took the Tram and really enjoyed the spectacular views and hiked a little ways up. If our 9 year old wasn't so crabby we would have gone further. The restaurant at the top and gift shop are terrible. I thought the tram price was a little expensive! If it is cloudy it will not be worth it!

Eat at the Twisted Fish by the dock instead!

I went last week!
Ceil
Old June 16th, 2005, 06:54 AM
Admiral

At the dock will be 2 companies that shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier, both $10 round trip.

You are wrong Ceil- you most certainly can hike up to Mt. Roberts, I have gone down. It is a long switchback trail and took us over an hour. But never consider it if it has been raining in the previous several days. It becomes a dangerous mud slick.
Old June 16th, 2005, 10:52 AM
adamv

Thanks for all the information. We will play it by ear as to hiking up Mt. Roberts.
Old June 19th, 2005, 08:50 PM
SusanCruiser

I think I remember seeing a sign that says if you hike up, you can opt to ride the tram down for $5.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 06:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

adamv:

If you haven't already read this postings I suggest you link (copy and paste) on to it: http://www.scrapbookideacenter.com/alaskamay28tram.htm
It answers your inquiry fairly and gave me some excellent ideas for Juneau and other ports.
Old June 23rd, 2005, 05:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

We hiked to the top of the cable tram strictly by accident. We happened to be walking in town, to the top of one of the residential streets, when we happened upon the trailhead. There was a warning sign, tht sounded a little scary, but another couple walked right past us up the trai.l So, being a little adventurous, we followed but never caught up with them. My memory is that it was about 1-1/2 miles or so. We were there in the second week of May a year ago, so there was a bit of snow on the upper part of the trail. We bought lunch and a beer in the restaurant, and then took the tram back to the foot of the mountain. I would estimate that the total gain (rise) from the dock level to top of the tram is a lot less than one thousand feet (vertical).