Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 17th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Luthien

Default Excursion itinerary questions!

Hello everyone,

My parents, grandparents and I are sailing on the Mercury on July 1 to Alaska. We've been looking into booking shore excursions before we leave. Considering we're traveling with two grandparents in their 70s, ease of mobility and comfort is obviously a concern. In particular - how much walking at each port?

I'd very much appreciate some input and feedback, and suggestions, based on what we've considered so far:

Juneau:
Whale Watching, Glacier, and Orca Pt. Lodge (6 hrs.) Seems pretty all-inclusive, which is great. Any experience with this excursion?

Skagway:
White Pass Scenic Railway. I've heard great things about this excursion from this board, so we're not too worried.

Ketchikan:
Totem Bight State Park and Town Tour. The online description didn't state whether it was by bus, or a walking tour - anyone know? Because of the relatively low price ($37 per person for 2.5 hours), I'm a little wary for the sake of my grandparents. I'm not sure an extended period of walking in a cold climate would be best for them.

I also went to portpromotions.com and looked at their "3 ports for $109 per person" deal, which includes excursions in Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway. It looks pretty good. Has anyone done this one? Is it reliable, since it's an independent company? And does anyone know if all of it is by bus, or if there is a lot of walking involved?

As you can probably tell, we're first-time cruisers and Alaska visitors. Thank you all so much - I've found these forums to be really helpful thus far. I look forward to hearing your wisdom and input!
Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2005, 06:55 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Excursion itinerary questions!

You probabaly are best picking up ship tours since they will start right at the dock and have the least amount of walking. I never would book through a middle man, which is portpromotions. They don't run any of the tours.

The whale watch will require walking up and down a gangway, can be steep depending on the tides, but assistance is usually available. (are you going with them?) The salmon bake here is good. the White Pass RR boards right next to the ship, sit on the LEFT from Skagway. Totem Bight- does have a fair amount of walking to the totems along paths. Saxman Village has less walking. both would be gotten there via bus.