Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 17th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Neosha

Default Helicopter/dog-sledding - how cold is it?

I am taking an Alaskan cruise on Princess in mid-July. One of my shore excursions is the fly-by-helicopter-land-on-a-glacier-and-go-dog-sledding adventure. Can anyone tell me how cold it is on the glacier so I will know how to dress appropriately? Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2005, 03:04 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Helicopter/dog-sledding - how cold is it?

Layer. The temeratures can wildly fluctuate, and you never know how warm or cold it's going to be. Even on a glacier it can be sunny and warm--it was both times I went. In mid-July I certainly wouldn't take a heavy coat.
Old June 17th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Familiar Face

We were there the first of June and I wore medium weight jacket, hat (to cover ears) and gloves. The people who live and work there didn't wear hat or gloves. It was mild the day we were there but remember because of the weather, it can be cancelled at any time. Clouds were descending when we were leaving the glacier. It is a wonderful experience. Did you book thru the ship?
Old June 19th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Neosha

Thanks for your input! I will definitely go with layers and thanks for reminding me of gloves! Yes, I booked through the ship. Is that the best way to go? I'll be taking the tour in Skagway. Thanks again!
Old June 20th, 2005, 05:36 AM
Admiral

Ship booked and independend are the same company in Skagway- only one TEMSCO. Independent is cheaper, but at this date most likely no space left. But consider inquiring??
Old June 21st, 2005, 05:56 PM
Familiar Face

We booked with Coastal out of Juneau and were very pleased with their personal service and knowledgeable personnel. They pick you up at docks & bring you back. Also about $60. cheaper. The people that took the ship's tour didn't have near the experience we did (my son in law talked with some of them later and the things he was saying about our trip, those who took cruise trip didn't do) The staff on the glacier talked and showed us how they lived up there and all about the dogs. We had a wonderful experience. If the one out of Skagway is booked, please try Coastal in Juneau. Call now to book any of these as they do fill up quickly.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 06:56 AM
Admiral

For clairfication, I have been saying Coastal is top notch for years. They have been in combo with Godwin's out of Seward for the last two years, who runs the dog camps. There was an interesting article about them a while back on all that is involved in the set ups and their rigid environmental requirements.
Old June 23rd, 2005, 06:58 PM
Familiar Face

Yes, I was surprised when they were telling us about setting up and the dogs. Which ones had run the race (and won). Very interesting to see how they lived there. Too primitive for me. I like my conveniences!