Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 26th, 2005, 11:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default rain gear and another ??

Going to Alaska on the Spirit in September (carnival). I hear about all the rain, etc. What do we pack as far as rain gear? Cheap ponchos... rain 'coat'; wind jacket? Am flying from Louisiana so don't want to pack excess as winter clothes in itself take up much space. How much luggage can one carry on a plane now a days? Is there a site to tell you the limits?
Also..I heard the spirt was having engine trouble from hitting ice?? And she will be going dry dock in Jan.....is she in good shape? I hope she isn't worn to the point of not enjoying her. Anyone heard of any Carnival Spirit problems?? Thanks for all your help..
cheryl
Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2005, 08:12 AM
Admiral

Default Re: rain gear and another ??

There have been significant Carnival Sprit problems with missed ports and delays recently. As for rain gear, you need a heavier, long poncho for the most benefit, an umbrella is good in port. Take 2 pair of walking shoes, Sept can be extremely damp and with 2 pair you have a day for them to dry out.
Old June 27th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Admiral

We purchased unlined Gortex jackets on sale (it is summer after all) and got great use out of them during 5 very rainy days in Vancouver and several very rainy and cold ports in Alaska. The weather is what it is and there is no point in fretting about it or letting it get in your way. We also brought very inexpensive gloves with us and got use out of them. BTW we had 85degrees and bright sun in Ketchican, so go figure.
Your domestic airline luggage limits will be 50 pounds per bag, two check in per person. One carry on item meeting fairly strict size and weight limit and one "personal" item (pocketbook, laptop).
Old June 27th, 2005, 02:52 PM
First Mate

The propeller was damaged by ice, the engine is fine and as far as I know only that one cruise was impacted, it's back on schedule now.
Old June 27th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: rain gear and another ??

Thanks guys/gals......where did you purchase the Gortex coat? Wal Mart by some chance? Guess I should get one now - even tho I will never use it again. LIve in South Louisiana -- where it rains, but you just walk in it...lol. Let me know if you can where you purchased it please. This will be my 25th anniversary gift for my husband and I -- and the first time we have been somewhere without the kids or parents (aging) since they were born......so I pray the ship works ok, and the weather cooperates (wind I mean so as not to cancel our floatplane excursion). I can handle the rain. Besides, I don't know if I will ever be able to afford to go back to Alaska! Want to make sure everything is perfect! I even bought a gift pack with the wine and goblets to be delivered to the room ;-) ;-);-)
cheryl
Old June 27th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Captain

I wouldn't think Walmart would carry Gortex products but I could be wrong. Sporting good stores should carry Gortex. REI Coop if you have them in your part of the country. Catalogs like LL Bean will carry. Not sure but probably Land's End as well.

FYI, on our 4 visits to Alaska (3 on cruises) we did fine with just umbrellas and non-gortex outerwear. We had some light rain but only one day where it poured however.
Old June 27th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Cherylroy:
Goretex clothing is pricey....but anyone who deals with typical Louisiana rainy weather will find use for it many times over.........as its waterproof but breathable so things don't get hot and sticky, or sweaty like nylon against body heat has a tendency to do. Sierra Trading Post is another source; basically a discounted outlet for overstocks. I got a really good deal on a goretex parka. (Hint: Add dot com to name.)

Like a previous poster stated, you'll do fine with an umbrella and a rainproof windbreaker if that's what you decide to opt for.

P.S. You and hubby are allowed to bring a bottle (or two?) of your favorite wine aboard for your cruise, if you choose to. You can opt to keep it in your room for your use but if you bring your wine to dinner table they usually tack on a $15 uncorking fee.
Old June 27th, 2005, 11:15 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: rain gear and another ??

Your not kidding - Gortex is expensive after researching it! I just may have to go buy a heavy poncho and use it for the week since I may never have to wear it again! Thanks!
cheryl
Old June 28th, 2005, 05:12 AM
Admiral

I would make do with what you have and purchase the heavy long poncho from walmart and take an umbrella. I don't have gortex and manage perfectly.
Old June 28th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: rain gear and another ??

Our Gortex jackets were $49 each on sale during the summer months at an Eddie Bauer Store. Check LL Beans, Lands End , Eddie Bauer, REI and such and look at their sale and clearance sections (on line of course).
Old June 28th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: rain gear and another ??

Thanks so much everyone!!
Cheryl