Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 5th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Peeks

Default First Timer with ?'s

I'm starting to plan my first cruise, as well as my first trip to Alaska. I will be going with my boyfriend, who, like me, is very active and seeking wildlife/nature adventures. We are also going with another couple who is less active. All of us are 25 years old. I'm wondering if there's a good cruise line that is recommneded for accomodating our age group, AND the diverse expectations of our group...!?!?
Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2005, 09:44 PM
JUGL11

Default Re: First Timer with ?'s

Holland America does a great job with Alaskan cruises. I wish I could go again!
Old July 6th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

I will venture to suggest Norwegian, Princess, or Carnival for more younger set. (Not in an order of preference) Holland America is a good line but more of an older/mid-aged clientel. I have only been on two cruises--Alaska with Holland America and Mexican Riviera w/Princess. However, from what I have read on this board in researching my trips (and I have read many, many postings) all cruise lines offer decent excursions. Some adventurous; some with less physically active ventures. There's a variety to choose from and would depend on your budget. Check out the excursion listings on the respective cruise lines websites.

As example: I traveled solo. I did a float plane excursion in Ketchikan for $199.00 (independently) and in Sitka I did a Tongass hike (ship) for $59. Both were very enjoyable with the float plane trip being quite an exhilarating experience.

Personally, I'm glad I booked most of my first Alaska experience through the ship excursions as it helped to orient/organize myself for the second trip (this August). Hope this has helped. Most likely you'll recieve advice from more seasoned travelers who frequent this board.

Post Edited (07-06-05 14:50)
Old July 6th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Captain

We've sailed to Alaska 3 times and each trip was a different line. HAL, NCL, Celebrity. The average age on HAL may have been a bit higher but there were passengers of all ages including young children. If you choose HAL don't be concerned that it'll be a bunch of seniors only. You'll certainly find plenty of peers.

The on ship activities we're the same on each ship we were on. We noticed that there were no bands playing by the pools. Much more subdued than hotter climate cruises. Plenty of seating at the pools as well.

So if you want to be active and play basketball or pingpong, the less active in your group can play Bingo or go to a movie.

RCCL does have the added rock climbing walls and miniature golf courses if you're interested in that type of activity.

The off ship activities will be basically the same whether you book thru the ship or independantly. Do some reasearch with these message boards and on the cruiseline websites and you can decide what to book that fits your budget and likes/dislikes.
Old July 7th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Admiral

As mentioned, all ages sail Alaska, and even Carnival's bulk of passengers are middle aged and above, no party ships yet in Alaska.

Key in planning is to look also what is OUTSIDE the ship, meaning, ports, time in ports, route (Seattle round trips do more outside passage sailings than my preferences allow ) , glacier - Glacier Bay is a highlight, and PRICE. Meaning you need to budget fully for costly excursions, you get only half a trip without them.

Any wildlife will require tours, you need to determine how much TIME you can allow and if you are considering an interior tour with a one way cruise?? Your group would benefit most with an independent touring of interior.

Shore excursions are port based, so look over any cruiseline shore excursion list for ideas. A lot can be booked independent, with the bonus of smaller groups and sometime s better tours, not always cost savings. Do your homework and make the right choices for you.
Old July 11th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Rich R.

My wife and I are 25 and we sailed Infinity (Celebrity) and it was amazing. Would do it in a heartbeat again. Celebrity is top notch all the way and lots of fun regardless of your age in Alaska