Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 10th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Beginner

Default Please help me,I'm overwhelmed.

I just booked a my first cruise on the spur of the moment. Fri. sailing is 9-11 on the Princess Sapphire. Ports Ketchikan,Juneau,Skagway,Victoria. I actually thought you were on the ship the whole time. Need help with land tours.
Interested in rail trip and helicopter to glacer. I 55 and don't want anything that takes a lot of energy. My son was killed 6mos. ago and I hardly move now. Former F/A booked through interline,took what they had. Didn't know a single question to ask.

Now that I've done it not sure I can Pull it off. Still cry a lot and it's embarrassing when I have a meltdown.

Cheaper to book land tours or through ship. My mind doesn't work very well at the moment so don't know if I could even book indep. if it takes some thought.

Any help welcome.My brother is going with me. He sorta has pushed me out of the house.

Thanks
Diane
Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Please help me,I'm overwhelmed.

Look at www.coastalhelicopters.com out of Juneau for a glacier helicopter landing. And book your White Pass RR through the ship. You may want to consider the bus/rail combo to the Yukon? Will be the most costly and longest tour available. Sit on the LEFT side of the train if leaving Skagway and on the right if leaving White Pass.

In Victoria, top tour in my opinion is Butchart Gardens, book through the ship since you likely have a short port time?? Ketchikan is great for Misty Fjords expecially if you haven't flown in a floatplane. Consider Southeast Aviation, or Island Wings.
Old July 14th, 2005, 08:50 AM
JennCandi

I just booked that cruise today. We're planning on doing only two excursion, as this our third cruise this year and money is starting to get tight.

1. Dog Musher's Camp
2. Canopy Tour

So excited.

Jenn
Old July 14th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Hondo

Hello Diane

My gut feeling is to tell you book with the ship for your excursions but I'm going to go against that and recommend some (vell, at least one) independent excursion.

My Dad died a little over 3 years ago and I still have some tough moments. I'm glad that your brother is pushing you out of your house. You do need to get out.

It is somewhat cheaper to book excursions on your own and not through the ship. One of the exceptions that I have found to this, would be the White Pass Railroad. At least for Carnival, you only save around $10.00 so I would look into this and book this through the ship.

As with what Karen said, go with Coastal for Juneau. In addition, I would try to do a whale watch tour in Juneau, if time/budget permits.

There has been several good reviews on excursions, what to do ect. on this site. I would try to read them and see if they are of any help. They may shed a light on some of your concerns.

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/ports/alaska/

I wish you luck and God Bless.

Hondo
Old July 15th, 2005, 04:02 AM
JUGL11

3 cheers for your brother. Although this trip won't erase the tragedy you've suffered, I hope it will help to bring you back to yourself. Remember, your son would not want to see you suffering.

Alaska is FANTASTIC! I did a cruise there 3 years ago & hope to get back there again some day. As far as excursions, it is more expensive to book through the ship but there is a convenience factor. As this is your 1st cruise, & you are feeling so overwhelmed, I would recommend taking the ship's tours.

Best wishes for a great trip. Remember - time does heal...if you let it.
Old July 15th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Gator

Hi Diane,

I am sorry to hear about your loss. I think going on this trip will help you take your mind off of it especially if you read the cruise boards a lot and do some of your own excursion bookings, but I can understand if you want to just book through the ship.

I went on my first Alaskan cruise in May and my excursions included a floatplane trip in Ketchikan. I booked with Island Wings (www.islandwings.com) and the owner/pilot is a female. The trip was $200 (not cheap by any means) but was definitely worth the money. The scenery is just beautiful. You get to touch down on a lake and get out and walk around.

In Juneau I did a whale watch with Captain Larry from Orca Enterprises (www.orca enterprises.com). It was another great trip.The boat ride is so nice and peaceful and the wildlife is great.

In Skagway we rented a car from Avis and drive up through the Yukon. You can stop anytime you want and take lots of pictures.

I definitely think this trip will be a blessing for you (and your brother). If you need more info, feel free to ask.
Old July 18th, 2005, 05:41 PM
gen

Book land tours through the ship. It does cost more, but it saves you the hassle of finding transportation from the ship to the site of the excursion. It also gets automatically cancelled if the ship can't port. That happened to us on the Island Princess. We were supposed to stop in Ketchikan, but the weather was too stormy, and we couldn't anchor. We reserved independently through the fishing charter, so I don't know if we will get our deposit back. Plus it cost 50 dollars round trip to get from the pier to his fishing boat.
In Juneau, we used MGT (mighty great trips or mendenhall glacier transport, can't remember what the initials stand for) to buy tickets to the Mendenhall Glacier. It was 10 dollars round trip. This was a good deal, and the buses are at the end of the pier. The cheapest I could find through the ship was $36.00, which included a stop at the hatchery.
Old July 19th, 2005, 08:15 AM
Admiral

For clairfication, most all independent booked tours INCLUDE transportation from the ship docks to the tour location. AND fishing charters in Ketchikan, pick up at the dock and I have never heard of a $50 fee??? Why didn't you consider someone else??? Plenty to choose from in Ketchikan. I also do not know of any independent vender who would NOT refund if the ship did not dock. They do.
Old July 25th, 2005, 04:29 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Please help me,I'm overwhelmed.

Thank you for your infornation, Just found out today that I could E-Mail. a thank you.
Thanks to all that gave me help. Thank you also for your kind words.Finally made myself sit down and book tours today.

Best
Fox
Old July 26th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

You really DO NOT need to book any excursions. Just get off the ship and see what is there. Experience the different ports. See what comes.
Old July 27th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Please help me,I'm overwhelmed.

Just got back from Alaska and in Ketchikan we used Island Wings to see the Misty Fjords. If booking this trip with Island Wings insist on Michelle as your pilot. Her love of flying and the environment come out in her passionate commentary and information she will share with you about the government's decision to allow the rape of old growth forests. She gave me a real appreciation for things I took for granted.

The trip to Alaska was fabulous and one that I'm sure you will enjoy and will allow you momentary escapes from your sorrow. Good luck!
Old July 27th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Admiral

You really DO NOT need to book any excursions. Just get off the ship and see what is there. Experience the different ports. See what comes.

I totally disagree with the above. Of all places Alaska has some EXCELLENT touring available and is a big waste wandering aimlessly in the ports. I strongly recommend always having plans and reservations in place before you go. With some ports having over 10,000 visitors/day, there isn't a lot available any longer outside of the bus type tours.