Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 19th, 2005, 04:39 PM
DrVal

Default DREAM was HORRIBLE!

So, we just got off the phone with Alice Cain-Moore, the Manager of NCL Customer Relations. This is the second time we have spoken with Ms. Cain-Moore.

Our first contact was with Colin Veitch, President and CEO of NCL, three hours after he received our letter. In his email to us, he called our experiences atypical and unacceptable and said he would forward the matter to Customer Relations. He relayed that he wanted to contact the ship so that they could identify and correct any deficiencies that led to our problemS.

We accepted this and gave them the time to investigate our claims. Again, we have some incidents on videotape and have photocopies of correspondence that we exchanged while on the ship. One document is a 4 page letter to the Captain, that the Captain requested on videotape, and then ignored. We were on deck with other cruisers, who videotaped the encounter and we later transferred the images.

Ms. Cain-Moore offered us a 50% credit toward a future NCL cruise to settle our claim. We did not ask for a credit and we did not accept it. We requested a partial refund of our cruise fare, plus Sitka port charges minus any taxes or fees actually paid on our behalf. In the alternative, we requested passage for 2 in 2006 to Alaska only if it came with assurances that we would not be subjected to the hardships we endured on the Dream.

We did not use the $100 cabin credit -- in fact -- we didn't make a single charge to our shipboard account. The Dream cruise was not a pleasant experience and we mitigated our damages by staying onboard.

We have just sent a follow-up email to Colin Veitch in the event that he was not aware of Ms. Cain-Moore's offer. As we stated earlier, we will accept nothing less than we originally requested. Our demands were extremely reasonable based on our experiences.

We will continue to keep you posted.

FYI: When we asked about adding Sitka back and reducing port times in wasted ports like Whittier or Prince Rupert, we were informed that it was a Corporate/Marketing decision not to stop at Sitka.

Unfortunatley, this hurts the 10 day cruisers more than the 11 day cruisers. The 11 day cruise stops at Seward, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan and PR -- really 4 ports in 11 days, while the 10 day cruisers are stuck with Whittier, Juneau, Ketchikan and PR -- really only 2 ports in 10 days.
Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Admiral

Default Re: DREAM was HORRIBLE!

Is there another posting somewhere that explains the back story to this ? If there is , where is it? If not, take a few giant steps back and explain what this is all about??
Your story sounds interesting , I just wonder what it is.
Old July 19th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Jeez.................

PapaBill: This post is a continuation of NCL DREAM a NIGHTMARE.

NCL DREAM -- 11 Aug. 2005
Old July 20th, 2005, 06:54 AM
Admiral

Was this your first cruise????

NCL is a mid service line. I think their 50% off a furture cruise is very reasonable, but you want all your money back and a free cruise???

Sorry but I don't see that. Missing a port can and does happen. You get your port charges back. If Whittier and Prince Rupert are such a "waste", why did you book a cruise with it???
Old August 4th, 2005, 03:41 AM
DrVal

The end of the Story:

My partner and I received a letter from NCL dated July 27th. It included an apology and a limited “explanation.” It also included a credit that was not 50% off a future cruise.

We’ve decided not to post our letter to Colin Veitch in its entirety, but we will answer the questions posted by the membership. We are domestic partners. When we arrived in our room, we put the twin beds together and asked for a full size flat sheet. We disembarked without that sheet. NCL could not explain why we were mistreated. They called our experience “atypical.” From their response, it seems sometimes we were singled-out and sometimes we were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. To answer your questions…

1) there was a horrible smell in our stateroom when we boarded and we immediately called housekeeping and asked for an air-freshener/disinfectant.

2) the diaper was found on the top shelf of our nightstand near our paperback books. it is an open shelf. although it was soiled, it was not full.

3) the salads on our cruise came dressed, although the “salad incident” had nothing to do with the dressing and everything to do with the reprimand.

4) on the second day of the cruise, we wrote a complimentary letter to management. we hoped our initial problems were an aberration.

5) when we continued to have problems, we tried to limit our staff and crew interactions. we did not make any charges to our onboard account and after the third day, we declined turn-down service.

6) based on the information we received from this board, we packed casual khaki capri pants, dress capri pants, blue jeans and black jeans. one night, when the dress code was “resort casual, ” we were humiliated in front of a line of cruisers and denied admission to the restaurant by the hostess based on a violation of the dress code. we were wearing khaki capri pants and a collared shirt. we had actually returned to our room just prior to the incident, to change from a casual t-shirt into a collared shirt to conform to the dress code. there were many people in the restaurant in capri pants and blue jeans. we believe this happened because we asked for, and volunteered to wait for, a table for 2. we had had a problem earlier in the cruise with the same hostess. we went directly from the restaurant to reception and were informed by the crew member on duty that our attire did not violate the dress code. we knew this was true – we only packed capri pants and jeans. when the receptionist called the hostess, the hostess still refused to admit us. reception called the restaurant director. when the restaurant director arrived, rather than offering an apology, he insisted that our mid-calf capri pants were “shorts” and “shorts” were not permitted after 5pm.

7) we interacted with some horrible staff and crew members and some excellent staff and crew members. we mentioned both in our letter to colin.

8) after one uncomfortable encounter with a crew member, we spoke to his boss, who intimated that they knew of problems with this individual. the boss asked us to submit a written complaint for his file.

9) in addition to the above, we submitted comment cards about some, but not all, of the incidents.

10) since eating in the restaurants became increasingly uncomfortable, we ate most meals in the sports bar. the food in the sports bar was comparable to a high school cafeteria. we did not mention food quality in our letter to colin.

11) i am trained as an attorney, and although there were legal issues, i informed colin and NCL from the beginning that we had no intention of filing a lawsuit.

This should answer most of the questions. There were incidents specific to us that I did not mention. NCL apologized, but provided no explanations.

We chose this cruise because of Sitka and its “resort causal” atmosphere. Unfortunately, the thing that NCL supporters like enjoy the most about NCL is an issue that caused us grief. Might the situation have been different if my husband were standing beside me while I was wearing my capri pants? Maybe. I guess we’ll never know.

We were asked on numerous occasions by crew and other cruisers if we were sisters and we always answered honestly. As I’ve stated, we are educated, articulate and polite women. We are respectful and expect to be treated with respect and courtesy, especially when we are on vacation. The crew of the Dream did not reciprocate on our June 20th cruise.

In defense of NCL, within 1 month, they have responded via phone, email and US Mail. The NCL website now states: “Ladies Capri Pants, which are a length between the knee and ankles, are acceptable in all fine dining rooms as long as they are not blue jean capris.”

Our intention was to post a warning… BEWARE… with NCL, what you see, is not always what you’ll get. That was true for us. We read good and bad reviews about the Dream and NCL before we cruised. We had problems with basic and essential services. We attributed the crew’s insensitivity to poor corporate management. Now our story is out there. Will our experience help other cruisers in our situation? We hope so. And, we will continue to read the reviews of the cruisers after us.

More info. than any of you need: We waited in line at the Four Seasons Restaurant. We actually chose that restaurant because we knew from lunch in the Sports Bar that it was the only one serving lemon sherbert and we knew that if we went somewhere else, some overworked staffer would have to run to that restaurant to get it for us... so, when it was our turn in front, we said "hi, table for two, please" and the hostess (who had mistreated us earlier) says, "would you mind sharing" or "is a shared table ok" (something like that) and we say, very politely, "no, thank you... we'd actually prefer to wait for a table for two." At that point, said hostess responds by looking from us to her seating chart, back to us, back to her chart, back to us and decides at that moment that my capri pants are not proper attire. If that is not discrimination, then I'd be curious to read your definition of discrimination.

******The service staff on the Dream that deserve recognition for as close to 5 star service as was possible: 1) Irina - Hostess Trattoria 2) Elena - Waitress Phillipines 3) Neno - Asst. Maitre D and 4) Iuliana (sp?) - Asst. Maitre D. ****** If you have the pleasure of interacting with any of them, your experience will be enriched.
Old August 4th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

thank you.