Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 20th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default cruise deals

We are looking at cruising to Alaska next July. Is $1800 per person for a balcony on RCCL outrageous or does that seem average? It's for a Seattle round trip without air. Does anyone know if they offer deals on balconys or should I just bite the bullet and book to ensure I get the cabin I want? Will they give me the better deal if one comes along?
Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Passenger

Default Re: cruise deals

Whoa! That seems outrageous. We booked a balcony, mid-ship on Princess for $999 a piece, however, we're sailing in September. Maybe that's the difference?

Old July 20th, 2005, 10:15 PM
Admiral

Too much!!! We are going in Sept for $1650 for two, balcony mid ship, port charges and taxes included, RT from Vancouver. We just booked it 8 weeks out. Sometimes you can find a good deal last minute.

Post Edited (07-26-05 20:40)

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old July 20th, 2005, 10:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: cruise deals

Thanks for the advice!! Is anyone willing to give me the price of what they paid for a July cruise???????
Old July 21st, 2005, 06:49 AM
Admiral

Yes, way costly, but there is a big difference in sailing July and Sept and balcony usage. Key to consider, allowing enough funds for costly excursions, that are a big part of the trip. Why not consider looking at www.cruisecompete.com and see what pricing you come up with???

Seattle sailings are less desirable in the routing since 2 days are outside passage.
Old July 21st, 2005, 09:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

I've received 4 quotes and they are all the same. Makes me think RCCL won't let TA discount anymore. I've heard that rumor, have you?
Old July 21st, 2005, 10:30 AM
Frank Black

First off, the cruise lines charge more for a cruise in July and August. Second, they also charge more to sail out of Seattle. It's all based on supply and demand. I am going on the Rdaiance next week out of Vancouver. July 30th. I just booked two weeks ago. I tried every ship out of Seattle and they were all sold out.

BTW... here's exactly what I paid for 2 people in an Inside cabin by booking the last minute. The Radiance only had about 5 cabins available too.

Cruise- $2398
Airfare from San Diego: $728
RCCL Incurance: $218
Taxes and fees: 142.50

It may seem high, but I cruise a lot and it all evens out. I am on the Sapphire Princess on DeEcember 17th for $550 per person including all fees and taxes.
Old July 23rd, 2005, 07:00 AM
Tiffiany

I booked extended balcony room on the Verandah deck on Carnival Spirit for Alaskan cruise first week in August for $1020 total with gratuties and taxes. We leave out of Vancouver, one way to Ancourage. Stops at Ketichkan, Skagway, Juneau and Sitka. Glacier Cruising thru Prince William Sound, College Fjords, Lynn Canal.

Is the room you're looking at the Suite on RCCL? I looked at them when I booked by cruise in November and the Suites were that much??
Old July 23rd, 2005, 09:52 PM
Gingee

$1020? Total? I am doing a round trip out of Seattle on the Vision of the Seas (Royal) the beginning of June next year and it is around $3100 for two people (insurance included).
Old July 24th, 2005, 08:22 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: cruise deals

I'm glad to see others are paying the same high price we are. I saw your other post on my Seattle question and that is why we picked the Vision too. She's in port over 38 hours! I'm hoping our price comes down a bit. $3600 is a lot of money!
Old July 24th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Frank B

Carnival isn't exactly RCCL. Plus the cruise lines are discounting the hell out of trips through Anchorage. Seattle cruises are very full with limited deals.
Old July 24th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

I've resounded myself to the $1800 because Vision has the long stays in ports that we want. Hopefully the food won't be too bad, my husband is a Certified Executive Chef. We looked at Celebrity because of Michael Roux but the Mercury isn't in ports near as long as the Vision. Thanks for everyone's advice!
Old July 25th, 2005, 06:36 AM
Admiral

Be also aware you are in port long times, BUT your routing is less desirable since it is more outside passage sailing. For some sailing Alaska is a big part of the trip.

And Carnival does a VERY good job in Alaska, having sailed both RCI and Carnival, Carnival was superior for the full time naturalist.
Old July 25th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Gingee

We booked around July 4th and by the following week, the price had already risen.

I like the Vision because it goes to Victoria and there is a castle there I would like to see. I like the idea of sailing out of Seattle (never been there).

What's wrong with the outside passage? What are we missing?
Old July 26th, 2005, 04:52 AM
Admiral

Outside is OPEN ocean, no scenery.
Old July 26th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

It's only one day of open sea and it's the first day. I plan on spending the entire day relaxing! Spa treatments here I come!! I understand it's a little rough but I really like the itinerary.

By the way Gingee, what did you pay? Did you get a balcony?
Old July 26th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Admiral

No it's at least 2, first and last sailing day, plus the time getting inside, and take precautions if prone to motion sickness. This is rougher sailing than inside.
Old July 26th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Passenger

We just booked a September 06 cruise on the Serenade, inside passage out of Vancouver.... $2,950 for 2 plus $118 for insurance. Like they said, you pay mor to book early, if you can wait until 1 month prior to cruising, and don't care about the cabin, you can save BIG $$$.... personally, I won't do Alaska without a balcony.... does anyone know of a good transfer from Seattle into Vancouver?

Old July 26th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Karen,
The itinerary reads:

Day 1: Seattle
Day 2: At Sea
Day 3 Tracy Arm Fjord and Juneau (2 hrs, 8 hrs)
Day 4 Skagway (13.5 hrs)
Day 5 Icy Strait (9 hrs)
Day 6 Inside Passage (cruising)
Day 7 Victoria (8 hrs)
Day 8 Seattle

Is Tracy Arm Fjord considered open sea cruising? If not, I don't see 2 days of at sea?

Please explain.

Thanks!
Old July 26th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Captain

Day six for you is "at sea" as well.
Old July 26th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

But is it rough waters at sea or nice cruising? If it's inside passage isn't there things to at least look at?
Old July 26th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Gingee

I'm confused also. Where does the open sailing come in? Is this water any rougher and going to eastern or western carribbean?

Our cabin for two is about $3100 including insurance and is for a balcony mid ship on the seventh floor.
Old July 27th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Admiral

Yes it can be very rough. Look at your route map for further clarification. Anything outside of Vancouver Island is fair game for rough sailing.

There are no guarantees on ANY sailings. Outside passage, has NO scenery, open ocean or an extremely distant spot of land with binoculars. Clearly inferior routing compared to what is can be.

As for transfers Seattle /Vancouver there will be cruise contracted buses, Amtrak, Quick Shuttle , one way car rentals.
Old July 27th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Karen,
You've got me rethinking...what do you think about Celebrity's round trip out of Vancouver on Infinity? It's about $100 pp more than the Seattle round trip but no open sea. Any other lines that do Vancouver round trip?
Thanks!
Old July 27th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Admiral

CStorm,
We are doing RCI's Radiance of the Seas,inside passage, round trip from Vancouver.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old July 28th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Gingee

To Karen,

Is it just one day of open sea? Right now I can't find the definite route that the Vision would take.
Old July 28th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Captain

When we sailed round trip from Seattle we were in open seas twice. Coming and returning. And we had smooth sailing both ways. One never knows however, you are in the ocean remember. Worst seas we had was heading from Juneau to Hubbard Glacier and then after Hubbard, heading to SItka. This was a Vancouver round trip cruise. It was actually sort of fun........since I didn't get seasick that is.
Be prepared with bonine, wrist bands, ginger ale or whatever can work for you and if you do happen on seas that are rough for you you should be ok.
Old July 29th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Admiral

My clear preference is always Inside Vancouver island, so that certainly would be my choice. My opinion only.

C-Storm, you mention " I plan on spending the entire day relaxing! Spa treatments here I come!! "

Then the routing doesn't matter. Plenty of people think like you. So go with what fits your priorities best, I post for information only and making informed decisions, which you are doing.
Old July 29th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

We are going to book on Celebrity's Infinity. I'm as anal as they come and have spent entirely too much time reading message boards!! We are going with CC to get a cabin on the back of the ship. It's nice to finally make a decision. I do appreciate your opinions. We just need to now get from Seattle to Vancouver...
Old July 29th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Admiral

Simple to transfer Seatac/Vancouver. There will be a cruise contracted bus, Amtrak, Quick Shuttle, one way car rental. You need an overnight, unless you have a very early arrival into Seatac, by 10am I would recommend. Otherwise you are cutting it too close with all the delays possible. Allow 4 hours for the transfer.