Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 20th, 2005, 08:42 PM
janice_reilly

Default Tundra Wilderness Tour

Has anyone been on the Tundra Wilderness Tour in Denali? I just found out today it is a 7 hour bus ride (on a school bus) in hopes to see wildlife. Is it worth the 7 hours? We will be there August 8, 2005? What else is there to do in Denali if you don't hike? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2005, 06:46 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Tundra Wilderness Tour

This is a major feature of your cruise tour and the best choice offered. But frankly, you should have known the details when you made your purchase?? Usually a highlight is Denali Park for most. This bus goes in 53 miles, necessary BINOCULARS, each person needs a pair. Bring your own food, the included box lunch is barely eatable. Your lodging should have lunches available and there are a few "fast food" options at glitter gulch- Bubb's Subs, Subway. Bring a collaspable cooler.

Flightseeing and rafting are popular. Horseback riding so so.
Old July 21st, 2005, 08:46 PM
Janice Reilly

Default Re: Re: Tundra Wilderness Tour

Karen:
Thanks for the input. It does not sound very interesting. It is including in the price of the Celebrity cruisetour. My Mom is 81 and can't do hiking or anything like that. What is in Denali Park? Is there something my Mom and I could do instead of going on the Wilderness Tour? We are staying in Denali at the Denali River Cabins for 2 nights. I assume there is place for shops, etc but that is not sightseeing to me!! Any suggestions would be appreciated.
1 week & 1 day until we leave on the Summit!
Old July 21st, 2005, 08:55 PM
Admiral

You need to do some research, Denali Park is a BIG Alaska attraction. You ride the SAME bus on this tour and you paid $85++ each for it. No hiking if you don't want to. and 100% scenery and wildlife opportunities which is a highlight for most.
Take binoculars. How did you end up booking this??

www.nps.gov/dena
Old July 22nd, 2005, 02:18 AM
Mort

Why would anyone go to Denali National Park and not be interested in seeing this beatiful park?
Old July 23rd, 2005, 11:08 AM
Ford_Racing_Ron

You really do need to see this. Our schoolbus left at 5:30 in the morning. we saw every major animal there was to see (one of the reasons to get on this tour) and pretty good views of McKinley. This is a major highlight.

They are school busses, but you drive pretty slow and it's not unconfortable. I was with a cruistour group and, at 52 years old, was close to the average age on our bus. One lady was 86 and she had a ball. The only hiking on this is to the toilet stops every hour and a half or so.

I have a few online albums I created for our group and have one with a few Denali pictures,,although not too many. However if you want to email me offline I will link you to these and you can see what the busses look like.

Oh yeah,,the box lunch is terrible.
Old July 23rd, 2005, 10:15 PM
Janice Reilly

Mort:
I have never been to Alaska. I did not know anything about Denali National Park and I am traveling with my 81 year old Mom that can't do the hiking and bike riding and other things. I read somewhere in the past month that the Tundra Wilderness Tour (provided by Celebrity Cruise lines) is not worth it for 7 hours and it was on a school bus. If this is the only way to see Denali Park I will go on the bus ride and enjoy it!!
Old July 24th, 2005, 06:53 AM
Admiral

Be aware, there are long times in transit, so be prepared - if going by rail, Anchorage/Denali Park is 8 hours, Denali Park /Fairbanks 4+ hours. So taking the Tundra wilderness tour is the least you should consider being it will take all that time to get there. It IS a highlight and the only way into the park. You are on the best tour available, so I would suspect both of you will enjoy it, if you really want to see some real Alaska.
Old July 25th, 2005, 09:05 AM
jq

Janice,
What you may have seen is that the tundra tour was not any better than the shuttle bus tours which cost only 1/3 as much. It is definitely worth seeing and should be highlight of your inland cruisetour portion. Have water and snacks with you though as the lunch they include is not great.