Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 26th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Beginner

Send a message via MSN to sandyaj400
Default Msity FjordsWilderness Flight & Cruise

Hi all,
Has anyone ever taken the Misty Fjords Wilderness Flight & Cruise while in Ketchikan? Was it worth the money? It sounbs awesome, but since this is my first cruise, I have no idea how much the excursions actually live up to the descriptions in the brochure. Less than 6 weeks until we sail!!!!!!
Sandy

Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Venus

Default Re: Msity FjordsWilderness Flight & Cruise

We went on Misty Fjords floatplane tour and loved it. We booked direct with Carlin Air. Was very much worth the money. If you book direct instead of thru cruise ship shore excursions you save about 20-30 dollars per person. Plus, when they land on the lake you actually get to get out and take pictures, etc. I've heard when you book thru the cruise ship the float plane just lands for a few minutes and then takes off again. Beautiful scenery, and very serene. I would highly recommend it.
Old July 30th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Admiral

The combo tours have gotten good reviews. But consider since this is your first trip, the longer tour will probably give you no time for a look at Ketchikan??? See how this tour's timing is? I would suggest having at least a couple extra hours? Ketchikan is a walk right from the dock and I would suggest at least a couple block walk to see Creek St. I have flown Misty Fjords several times and it is a highlight.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 03:37 PM
Feingold

We are doing the flight and cruise out of Ketchikan on our 8/21 Diamond Princess sailing. I like the idea of flying one way and cruising the other. While I haven't done the float plane in Alaska, I have done the helicopter to the Norris Glacier out of Juneau twice. I've also done a helicopter to a volcano in Hawaii, and a seaplane in St Thomas. I have yet to be disappointed in a shore excursion that gives me a view from the air.
Old August 14th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Corrine Lunt

The Misty Fiords cruise-fly would be awsome if you couldl get to fly. No one's fault but, if it is too rainy/socked in you only get the cruise part. However, Princess did refund us approx half of the fee because we didn't get to fly. The cruise part is great however and evey by itself is worth the money. They even feed you! I am going again this year and hope I get to fly this time.
Old August 16th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to CeCe

On RCCL in Ketchikan we took the Rain Forest Sanctuary which was only 2.5 hours long and VERY good. EAsy walk. Went thru forest, sawmill, feed reindeer (they stink, but it was unusal to do) saw a totem pole being carved and had snack. The most amazing thing was that we saw mother bear, 2 cubs, and another male bear! Also saw eagles and they had binoculars on tripod fixed on eagle and nest. Left us plenty of time to explore Ketchikan