Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 29th, 2005, 11:29 PM
Gingee

Default Round trip from Seattle to Alaska

Does anyone take this route? What has been their experiences? Too much "out in the open sailing" or what?
Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Round trip from Seattle to Alaska

Gingee--

We looked at taking this but Karen16 "talked" me out of it. We are still flying into Seattle and doing round trip out of Vancouver on Celebrity's Infinity. The itinerary says "inside passage" cruising instead of outside. There are lots of options to get from Seattle to Vancouver.
Old July 30th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Admiral

For more information, go to Cruise critic and look for posters who have done BOTH sailings. Open ocean in Alaska for 2 days is not my preference. BUT be aware that all ships are sailing outside more. Time and size a significant reason. So I would never book any outside Vancouver Island since this is an added scenic sailing day. My opinion only.

I was supposed to have one outside Vancouver Island sailing on my May NCL Star sailing, but the night before the cpt. announced he would be sailing inside, just excellent day with daylight tranverse of Seymour Narrows. A big bonus sailng.
Old July 30th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Captain

We've sailed both routes, and although I prefer the Vancouver trip, I would certainly use Seattle again if that was the best deal and itinerary for us.
Old July 30th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Gingee

Well we will probably be coming in on Amtrak train and I think they just come into Seattle so that is why we picked this one.
Old July 31st, 2005, 05:23 AM
Admiral

No, Amtrak does have a train to Vancouver. Plus other options for the easy transfer Seattle/Vancouver Cruise line contracted bus, Quick Shuttle, and one way rental car.
Old July 31st, 2005, 11:22 AM
adamv

Default Re: Re: Round trip from Seattle to Alaska

We are doing roundtrip Seattle in several weeks with Celebrity Mercury. The first day is outside, on the way back they sail in the inside passage.
Old July 31st, 2005, 01:00 PM
Admiral

Yes the Mercury has a unique Seattle round trip that is a great option.
Old July 31st, 2005, 10:36 PM
Gingee

I wish Royal would just publish their route. You know how Carnival draws a line showing where they are going?
Old July 31st, 2005, 10:38 PM
Gingee

Why is going out of Seattle not the greatest port to go out of?
Old July 31st, 2005, 11:05 PM
Captain

The ships sailing from Seatlle go on the ocean side of Vancouver Island so there is less dramatic scenery (although by no stretch of the imagination bad) and more chance of choppy seas.
Old August 1st, 2005, 09:44 AM
Admiral

Usually there is NO scenery on the sea days of Seattle sailings. and if there is some, it's a dot without binoculars. Just be aware of all options of routes and choose what is best for you.
Old August 1st, 2005, 10:44 AM
Captain

I beg to differ. We saw land on the starboard side on the first day of our Seattle sailing. And not a dot with binoculars. Clear as a bell.
Old August 1st, 2005, 01:19 PM
Gingee

To Peter,

Did you do the roundtrip from Seattle? I was sold on this one until some people said it is better to go out of Vancover. Did you see land most of the time?
Old August 1st, 2005, 02:47 PM
Admiral

Sorry, but I did state- usually. What did you see on the return???? These sailings also have a big amount of open ocean after Vancouver Island which is past by mid morning on the first sailing day. The Queen Charlotts are sometime viewable, but again can be way out. There is no comparism with inside Vancouver Island. ANY cruise is a compromise, frankly few people spend much time looking out, so go with your priorities.
Old August 1st, 2005, 03:36 PM
Captain

Honestly, I can't recall if we saw land on the return as we headed towards Victoria. Actually, the only reason I remember seeing land on our first day because I watched our video a week or so back.
As beautiful as the inside passage is, and I agree that there's no comparrison with the inside, I'm glad we were in some wide open seas as well on that trip. As you, I've been lucky enough to have sailed both routes.
Old August 1st, 2005, 07:32 PM
Gingee

Hmmm. The reason I picked Vision was that they were at more ports along with more daytime port hours.
Old August 1st, 2005, 10:38 PM
Captain

Take all of our opinions with a grain of salt. We all have different likes and dislikes and feelings on these cruises. Except for one thing...Alaska is awsome!
Gingee, I have sailed both routes and loved them both. Yes, by leaving from Vancouver you're much closer to land. In fact sometimes it felt as if we were sailing on a river.
If you picked the Vision because you feel it will meet your needs better because of more ports with longer daytime hours....go for it. You won't be disappointed I'm sure.
Our first cruise was from Seattle and it was only because of price and that it went to Glacier Bay which was my biggest requirement at the time. I don't regret it for a second.
You'll love your cruise. Enjoy.
Old August 1st, 2005, 11:45 PM
Ladyrace

We took a 7 day cruise on the Diamond Princess from Seattle roundtrip to Alaska. We awoke Sunday morning to whales outside of our balcony.. so if that is open seas which I think it was.. it was TERRIFFIC! Nothing like the sight of whales outside your window to welcome the new day. I cannot even begin to say enough good things about our cruise. We were a group of 18 ! I don't have a single complaint and would recommend the trip and the cruise line to everyone! ALthough this was my first time cruising I never waited in a long line (even for boarding and ?Unboarding?) The service was excellent, the ship was spectacular, and the ports of call although short (now that we know more we know we want to stay in the ports longer on our next trip) were awesome! We plan to go back to Alaska! However, we are thinking that a New Zealand cruise may be our next vacation! Enjoy your trip!
Old August 2nd, 2005, 01:54 PM
Gingee

Rough seas? Are you people saying rough seas worse than going to the Carribbean and such? I wonder how far from land you are? (outside passage) I feel more comfortable knowing land isn't far away.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 06:34 PM
Passenger

LadyRace: was your cabin located port or starboard? We're booked on the Diamond next month. It will be our first trip to Alaska. Can't wait! We booked Misty Fjords flightseeing/cruise package and whalewatching through the ship.

Old August 3rd, 2005, 06:52 AM
Admiral

Most certainly you can encounter rough sailing in Alaska. the "smooth as glass, inside passage" is clearly a myth. There can be times with no land in sight on ANY Alaska cruise, just usually more on round trip Seattle departures. Even the one ways can sail way outside the gulf. So if prone to motion sickness, you still need the precautions in Alaska.
Old August 3rd, 2005, 01:08 PM
Gingee

I haven't gotten sea sick yet (this will be my fourth cruise) but I am always nervous if the waves would get rough (remember the Dawn?).
Old August 3rd, 2005, 03:21 PM
Dyane Billings

We will be doing the 7 night round trip from Seattle on Sept 2nd as our first cruise, any comments would be appreciated, I am so looking forward to this.
Old August 8th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Gingee

Sounds like no matter which route you take, it is a good one?
Old August 9th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Joyce Chatfield

Default Re: Re: Re: Round trip from Seattle to Alaska

I just completed a trip to ALASKA...inside passage...one word....
AWESOME!!!! Enjoy the beauty and have fun!
Old August 9th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Passenger

We just got back on Saturday on the Diamond to/from Seattle and I don't know if we were inside passage or open sea and it didn't matter to me. Every chance I had I was scanning the WATER for whales or whatever. There was plenty of scenic land during the cruise. This was our lst visit to Seattle and we were so impressed with the city that we intend to do a land vacation there. Pike's Market was so much fun along with the Duck ride and the stroll and food along the waterfront was one of our highlights. We flew in a day early and stayed a day late. We were tired and didn't get in all that we thought we would. Luckily we were enjoying a park near Pike Street on Saturday and the Blue Angels flew over and we had some enjoyment seeing their maneuvers. They were just practicing for their big event on Sunday (August 7). Our only regret was not going to the market to buy flowers for our room before the cruise. We thought we would board the ship early and then leave for the market. We didn't see any way off the ship and we were not walking distance to the area so we stayed on board. We stayed at the Silver Cloud Hotel at Lake Union and they were just great in taking us to our destination. I would call them for pickup and generally they were there in 15 minutes or so.

Victoria was our last night and we were there from 8-12. We grabbed a cab outside and shared costs with another couple and went to Buchard Gardens that were just beautiful. It was about a 25 minute ride there and we saw most of the gardens before it turned dark. There are accent lights all around. The entrance cost was $20 PP and the cab was the same per couple. I understand there is a ferry out of Seattle to Victoria that takes several hours. Next trip we will do the ferry and spend the day there with lunch or dinner.

John L.
Old August 9th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Gingee

Has anyone ever gone to the castle in Victoria? Is it worth it?