Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 10th, 2005, 10:13 AM
missy123

Default Footwear in Alaska?

Any suggestions on footwear? I've read all of the suggestions for clothing, layers, etc...I'm from Florida & am thinking that flip flops aren't goint to cut it in Alaska in September! Any tips?
Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Dixie Lee

Default Re: Footwear in Alaska?

Hi, Missy123,
We were in Alaska end of May. Your footwear needs to be comfortable and sturdy. We did a variety of activities and we took a variety of shoes but ended up wearing our tennis shoes almost the entire time. These were ones that we had worn before, I would not suggest trying to break in new shoes on a trip to Alaska. You don't want to have to worry about sore, tired feet. No reason, though, that you could not wear flip-flops or sandals on the ship. Have a great time.
Dixie Lee
Old August 10th, 2005, 02:22 PM
missy123

Thanks Dixie Lee! I was figuring that we'd end up in tennis shoes anyway : )
Old August 10th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Captain

Bring an extra pair too in case it rains and your shoes get wet.
Old August 10th, 2005, 10:31 PM
Admiral

Hey thanks Dixie Lee, we were wondering about that too. My DH only wears tennis shoes for everything, except formal dinner of course, so he will be happy. Will I have any use for my Ugg boots?

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old August 11th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Dixie Lee

CA Cruiser,
I'm no expert having only been to Alaska for the first time this past May, but we did a variety of excursions, lots of walking through the towns and hiked to the Mendenhall Glacier and we took hiking boots along with our tennis shoes and some other casual shoes (way too many pairs of shoes!!), and still wore tennis shoes the entire time we were off the ship. I would guess that if you do a flightseeing tour of the glaciers where you land on the glacier itself, Ugg boots may be needed, but a lot of the tour companies provide foot gear if special boots are needed. Other than that, even at the end of May, the only snow we encountered was on our 4x4 Jeef safari to the Yukon. DH did manage to get his jeep stuck in the snow, but other than that and some water run-off from the snow, we did not need any kind of boots. We never did get wet feet. A little dirty on the dog-sledding to the musher's camp, but still needed only our tennis shoes. Good advice from PeterC to have an extra pair in case your shoes do get wet. We had light rain only our first day in port at Sitka - other than that, dry the entire time. Sudden short rain showers are to be expected, though, and it would be miserable for you if you did not have a dry pair of shoes to wear. Especially in Ketchikan, where we did a lot of walking, our tennis shoes were all we needed. The weather was a lot warmer than we expected at the end of May, and I would imagine now that boots would probably not be needed. As everyone who gives advice will tell you, dress in layers! We wore fleece over long-sleeved pullover tops over t-shirts and took waterproof jackets with us everywhere, and the fleece came off, hardly wore the jackets, believe me, we were plenty overdressed! We did dress warmly when we sailed through the glaciers - the air coming off of the glaciers is cold and I am glad I had my scarf and gloves - but other than that, we won't take nearly as much stuff the next time we go!
Dixie Lee
Old August 11th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Admiral

Thanks Dixie for the info. The Ugg boots would be more for on the ship, casual wear, definately don't want to wear them in the snow or get them wet.

7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

Old August 11th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to LuLu
Default Re: Re: Footwear in Alaska?

My 17 year old wore her Uggs, more for fashion than practicality. No need anywhere for them. Glacier boots and hiking shoes provided everywhere!
Old August 11th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Admiral

Thanks Lulu. I was thinking of wearing them around the ship while outside looking at the scenery. They are added weight so maybe I'll just leave them home.

7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

Old August 12th, 2005, 06:01 PM
papabear

Yes, take at least 2 pairs of comfortable shoes. In 2000, we were in Beijing in a heavy rainstorm. My shoes got wet, and never really dried out. I ditched them in Siberia. Also, extra socks.
Old August 12th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Passenger

Hey CA Crusier, I'm with you any info is good info. I am the one that you e mailed on other board on meet and mingle. I just received my doc today and went into the RCI board and preregistered. Do you do it on line or do the fill out the book . Does it matter as far as expediting check in ? I think each person wonders what is in store and then we get there and we feel as thought we are right on> Hope to meet you on the cruise. My wife and I are anxiouslyly waiting for our trip. Happy cruising>
Old August 13th, 2005, 08:06 AM
Admiral

Hi David,
I think I answered you back on the other board but nice to see you here again. We are also getting anxious for this trip, especially my husband. Yes, we always fill out the preboarding info on like and it does save time of having to do it at check in. Looking forward to meeting you as well and seeing Alaska together.

7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

Old August 13th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Unless you plan on doing some real hiking on rough or slippery terrain I would say that leather tennis shoes will do just fine.

I pack one pair of lightweight, waterproof over shoes. They are the "Totes" type but a little heavier with a non-slip sole. I use them in the winter, hear in Minnesota. They work just fine and take little or no space or weight in the suitcase. You can purchase them through Cabelas online catalog or a sporting goods store.

Temsco, helicopter glacier tour, did provide us provide us with footwear to wear on the glacier.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 18th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Admiral

Im surprised no one mentioned a nice pair or hiking boots or day hikers. I got mine for a cruise to Costa Rica to romp through the rainforest. They hold up better then sneakers, get less dirty being tan and black, grip wet pavement well. I wear them all the time and spending a bit more money I got a very comfortable pair, (about $50) better then the cheap one's because your feet would end up hurting and you don't want that to slow you down on vacation.