Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 11th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Bobdan

Default White Pass - AM or PM?

Any opinions on reserving the White Pass train excursion for the morning versus the afternoon in mid-September? Is either time more likely to have better weather?
Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2005, 07:12 PM
mwc0914

Default Re: White Pass - AM or PM?

I would guess PM would be better...if there is fog in the morning, you want to give it time to burn off before going up
Old August 11th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to LuLu

I just returned from Princess Cruise (awesome!)....The White Pass Rail Way tour was a terrible, boring waste of 4 hours. I wish I had done the half tour combined with biking. It was dreadful. I do not recommend this tour. Too long
Old August 11th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Captain

We loved the White pass trip. Not boring to us. We loved the stories and the history involved. We went in the morning and the weather was perfect. Spent the whole of the return trip outside and in between cars. I've heard of fog in the mornings however and maybe we just got lucky.
Old August 12th, 2005, 07:02 AM
Admiral

It is a myth that morning fog is more common, simply not so, can happen any time. But generally if it is fog, it comes and goes, so usually viewing.

And I too disagree, the White Pass RR is an excellent trip for those interested in history, superior scenery and engineering. The above poster probably should not even considered it???
Old August 12th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

WE did the train first thing in the AM, no fog either. Yes, its a long trip, but I felt it was well wroth it to see some of the interior and hear all the history on the trip up.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 12th, 2005, 05:58 PM
PapaBear

Hello:

I am somewhat of a railroad buff. There is a channel on direct TV (379) called RFD-TV. About once a week they run railroad videos. About 2 weeks ago, they ran one of the ALASKA Railroad. Frankly, it was BORING (the scenery, I mean). this made the video boring.

If you want really good rail trip, try the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad in NM and CO.

In my humble opinion.

PapaBear
Old August 12th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Captain

I might be wrong here but I believe that the Alaska RR is different than the White Pass RR.
Old August 12th, 2005, 06:53 PM
David1

OK I just booked the White Pass Railway tour for Sept 12 at 12:45 PM today at 3:35 PM Lets see what happens. Will report on this thread. I think what ever happens I will be happy, because any cruise is a good cruise. I personally will be happy to just be in Alaska> Come on Sept 10, 05 RADIANCE OF SEA. Just got my Doc. today. So Happy
Old August 13th, 2005, 06:52 AM
Admiral

Yes the above poster is wrong, the Alaska RR and White Pass are two completely different routes. The Anchroage/Seward portion of the Alaska RR is just excellent, so frankly, if you haven't taken it, it's hard to go with a "boring" comment???

My opinion only, even better than the Combres and Toltec is the Durango and Silverton. I've taken most all in Colorado and the Coast Starlight San Diego /Seattle is full of scenery too. Plenty of rail to enjoy.
Old August 20th, 2005, 04:49 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to DalTX

I LOVED the WP train.The scenery was beautiful.As a matter of fact,we are having 3 or 4 of our pictures made into 24by36 posters for the walls.I dont have enough wall space,but they are so inexpensive to do on the Sams website.BTW if you need to have prints made,they are 11 cents a print.

You have to go outside to get the good shots,and boy was it windy and cold out there! Even my hot natured brother admitted he was rather chilly! But,they have a nice stove that you can warm up to.

I did buy the video,think it was $9...I dont recommend it.Watched it once,and I was bored with it.Maybe I just needed to be there...Dot
Old October 14th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Forget the train.....save the $$

We've done 2 Alaska repos May 03 and May 04 - out of San Diego. In May 04, we finally got smart and rented a car in Skagway. We drove the 75 or so miles from Skagway to Carcross and then on to Emerald Lake. Stopping at our leasure....the road follows the White Pass train route to Frasier - then the train turn around....we were able to continue on to Carcross and Emerald Lake - stopping along the way at the smallest desert! Something really beautiful to see: Emerald Lake is just beautiful. We paid about $65 for a rental car and had the use of it all day. I'd do it again in a heart beat!

[b]MILLIE: The Beautiful Med...Barcelona to Venice- 5/15/05[b]
NOS West. Caribbean - 12/10/2005
[b]Summit Hawaii - 4/9/2006
NOS East. Caribbean - 12/02/2006
Infinity Alaska Repo - 5/7/2007
Old October 15th, 2005, 04:09 AM
Admiral

For clairfication- the Klondike Highway does NOT follow the White Pass route. There is only about 3 miles of common scenery. Scenery from the White Pass RR is superior to the Klondike Highway.

Anyone doing the drive would benefit greatly from printing out the South Klondike Highway log www.explorenorth.com