CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Alaska (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/)
-   -   question about floatplane/helecopter and weight limit (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/248488-question-about-floatplane-helecopter-weight-limit.html)

cherylroy August 11th, 2005 08:04 PM

question about floatplane/helecopter and weight limit

I see on some excursions they say that there is a weight limit of 250 lbs pp. I also noticed on most that it is on helecopters. Whats the difference between a floatplane and helecopter? Does the floatplane have a weight limit? Do they weigh you prior to boarding? If so...how embarrassing! I mean....some people are obvious, others are not. I actually have an excursion booked with a floatplane, but on the briefing, it said nothing about weight limits pp. Can anyone explain this? thanks

Karen16 August 12th, 2005 06:43 AM

Re: question about floatplane/helecopter and weight limit

Most always there is no surcharge for float planes, but your weight ALWAYS will need to be disclosed. Helicopter trips charge 50% more for over 250 lbs. Some venders do weigh you.

cherylroy August 12th, 2005 07:56 AM

Re: Re: question about floatplane/helecopter and weight limi

How embarrassing! In front of everyone? I weigh 260, but with clothes on (and all those clothes) it will raise it! I'm going on a float plane only because they didn't say anything about weight limit. Hell, might as well cancel the excursion now. I am NOT getting on a scale in front of everyone! My husband weighs about 240. but, you know guys...it doesn't matter if they step on a scale.

Ford_Racing_Ron August 12th, 2005 10:09 AM

My wife and myself flew with Temsco in Scagway for the helicopter glacier walk. They first ask you your weight but because they know you will fudge a few pounds, when we get to the "airport" and before we put on the funny boots and vest, they weigh you on a scale in front of everybody,,and its a big scale too with big numbers so all can see. The only good thing about it was I discovered I hadn't gained 40 pounds while eating my way across Alaska, where I believe the state food is the sticky bun.

sctl August 12th, 2005 12:59 PM

Re: Re: question about floatplane/helecopter and weight limi

We took a helicopter flight and they did weigh you but not in front of everyone - it was discrete. The reason they do this is for safety. All aircraft have a weight limit. If the weight limit is exceeded, especially at higher altitudes, the aircraft can be at risk. Since so many people tend to fib a little on their weight, it is important to weigh them. Nobody wants the flight to be a one way ticket to eternity. On floatplanes it is not as important to be weighed because they usually are not filled with cargo, but they too have a weight limit. Commercial planes also have a weight limit and they will sometimes have to reduce fuel before take off.

cherylroy August 12th, 2005 04:38 PM

Re: Re: Re: question about floatplane/helecopter and weight

The excursion says its a float plane and says nothing about weight at the bottom. I just don't want to be weighed in front of everyone! I'm self conscious enough.

cherylroy August 12th, 2005 04:40 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: question about floatplane/helecopter and wei

its the "Best of Ketchican" excursion, if anyone knows anything about it???

Karen16 August 13th, 2005 06:39 AM

On Floatplanes for clairfication, they usually DO NOT weigh you, but you do have to disclose your weight. This may be on a running sheet that everyone sees, or you may be over heard answering the agent. If it is a concern, call them and have them list the weight now for you. With a ship tour, however, this won't be an option.

budgetqueenalaska@yahoo.c August 13th, 2005 06:43 AM

"On floatplanes it is not as important to be weighed because they usually are not filled with cargo, but they too have a weight limit. Commercial planes also have a weight limit and they will sometimes have to reduce fuel before take off."

Helicopters require far MORE weight BALANCE, than floatplanes and has nothing to do with cargo. And actually floatplanes take far more cargo than any helicopter. I've taken planes in Alaska that denied passengers in favor of cargo, this has happened to me, but I was already a confirmed passenger. I've also taken some cargo and mail runs out of Ketchikan which used to be very cheap, but are still available.

Barb B August 13th, 2005 05:05 PM

My husband and I did a helicoptor glacier/dogsled tour and they asked us our weight, but did not make us step on scales.

I would say that if someone weighed more than250 pounds, it would be an extremely tight fit! The two men in our helicopter weighed about 210 each and with two women between them we were very snug. They would need to cut back by one person in order to accomodate someone larger, so a surcharge seems fair.

Ford_Racing_Ron August 14th, 2005 02:35 PM

As I said, they weighed us in front of all but.....

I think the original design for the helicopters was to hold 4 or 5 but Temsco figured out how to squeeze 7 of us (pilot included) into the thing. Four in the back,,3 in front. I was third into the back and by the time the first two guys got in there was no room for me and the poor young lady that was to climb in behind me! We shoved to get those two over so myself and the poor woman could climb in,,,we,were pinned in,,we couldn't even use our cameras from the air because our arms wouldn't move. IF we'd gone down in the water we would have sunk like a stone.

DalTX August 20th, 2005 04:59 AM

We did the helicopter/glacier trek,and they did ask each of us our weight,but did not weigh us.Then they stragically placed us in the helicopter! It was awesome.

Did the float plane which had no restrictions,but Michelle did ask us our weight,and she placed us accordingly.

I put on around 30 lbs this year,so I was very self concious about this,but once you get up in the air,you forget very quickly,its so beautiful! Dot