Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 20th, 2005, 08:35 AM
lindat

Default Help - leaving next week and I need...

some advice on what clothes to pack. I know to do layer, but I have a few questions specific to attire on Carnival Spirit:

1. While in ports, I plan on wearing jeans and tennis shoes. Is this okay to wear on the ship?

2. Main dining area. Can I wear jeans and tennis shoes to dinner or do I have to change into casual resort attire?

3. For formal nights, will slacks and a dressy jacket suffice instead of wearing cocktail dresses?

4. Is it warm enough to walk around the inside of the ship without a sweater?

Any insight would be appreciated as I am trying to figure out what to pack.

Thanks again everyone.

Linda
Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Frank Black

Default Re: Help - leaving next week and I need...

In port Jeans and tennis shoes are fine. Do not wear them to dinner, unless it is a casual special night like 50's night or Western night. Nice slacks and a dressy jacket will be fine on formal night. Alaska cruises seem to be a bit more casual on formal nights. You will probably not need a sweater. As you go farther north and the weather gets cooler, they will heat up the public rooms. Sometimes too hot in my opinion.
Old August 20th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default Re: Re: Help - leaving next week and I need...

I am from south Louisiana and right now the heat index is 105! It is soooo hard to pack something "warm" at this temp outside. Let the COLD come!!!!!!!! You might see me wearing shorts in the snow and on deck!
Old August 20th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Pam Kelly

Cherylroy, we are from Phoenix and have the same problem. We are trying to pack for a Sept. 2 cruise on the Celebrity Mercury. I'm taking my mom for her 76th birthday! Us girls are going to have great time...anyone on this cruise can email me, it would be fund to meet on the ship.
Pam
ppk347 at aol.com
Old August 20th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default Re: Re: Help - leaving next week and I need...

Pam, go and enjoy your cruise with your mom! We went on a cruise in June with dad (his 4th with us). He was 74 and died in July. I hope you girls have a wonderful time! You might be like me --- on the deck in shorts and 40 degree weather sucking it up! LoL.
Old August 21st, 2005, 01:55 PM
Passenger

We just got back form our Alaska cruise. There's one thing I didn't think about when reading emails on what to wear. I noticed people from colder climates were warmer than us thinblodded types from warmer climates. I was a little too cool on deck without my sweatshirt while I noticed some midwesterners fine in shirtsleeves.
Old August 21st, 2005, 05:08 PM
Alaska-cruisegal

I would call Carnival to inquire about wearing jeans to the dining hall.

I took a Celebrity cruise in July and they told me (I called Celebrity cruise line and ask about wearing jeans, shorts, sandals into the dining hall and what is "casual attire") that jeans were not appropriate for the dining room, but I did see some people wearing jeans in the dining hall and they were not turned away. Anyways, I wore "dockers" and non-jean pants that were definitely casual - just not blue jeans.

Cruising around Hubbard Glacier, we were very fortunate, the day was great, there was no wind and lots of folks (like us) wore shorts outside. There was almost NO wind, so it didn't *feel* cold. Wind can make a huge difference in how cold it is.

Check the website: http://www.weather.com (search for: Juneau, AK or Skagway, AK etc. to get an idea of the weather and wind before you go.