CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Alaska (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/)
-   -   Is this about average? $600 for 2 One way tickets (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/248529-about-average-600-2-one-way-tickets.html)

Cynt August 24th, 2005 03:04 PM

Is this about average? $600 for 2 One way tickets

I've been lurking and reading up on Alaska. I'm booked but have some airflight questions.

I'm cruising in Alaska May 2006. I'm using Sidestep.com to compare flights. It's running $282+ from DFW to Anchorage (I'll catch a shuttle to Whittier) and $332+ from Vancouver back to DFW an Alaska Air. Total about $614. I'm cruising on Carnival Spirit because I have a half off coupon due to hurricane Emily in July. YIPPEE!! So ship can't be changed however dates are flexible.

Is $600 bucks about average? I'm sure hoping this is on the steep side and with time they'll fall. I've never been to Alaska so I'm clueless as far as flight prices.

Qcruiser August 24th, 2005 03:48 PM

Re: Is this about average? $600 for 2 One way tickets

Go to Orbitz.com and click "multi-city" search..... this lets you fly into one city and out of another.... it will get your cost down close to a round trip ticket.... try it.....!

Garret August 24th, 2005 08:56 PM

Your flight from DFW sounds about right. I've booked for June 2006 from Austin to Anchorage on United and it was a little more than that. For the return trip, we dock at Vancouver, but are flying out of Seattle due to cost. One-way from Seattle to Austin was $128 on Delta. From Vancouver to Seattle, Holland America offers a shuttle for $50 each. I also used Sidestep to find my flights. All flights are through Orbitz. Hope this helps.

CA Cruiser August 24th, 2005 11:27 PM

JMO...but I would wait until after the first of the year to book the air for next May. January is a great time to purchase because the holidays are over. We booked our one-way from Vancouver to LAX for this past May on 2/12 and got it for $140/pp on Alaska Airlines.

Another suggestion or advice we received from others is to book a RT to Vancouver or Seattle and then just a one way from Vancouver to Anchorage. Some say this saves them a few $ but I've never looked into it.

Ford_Racing_Ron August 25th, 2005 10:39 AM

Don't know about your prices but I sort of do what another poster suggested. I use the AAA and Expedia to search for flights based on what my requirements are. Then when I find what appears to be the lowest rate I will use that airlines own site to book the flight,,ususally because it is a little less and I can pick my own seats etc.

When I went to Alaska I let HAL get me the flight (LA to Anch,,,Vanc to LA) and I guess because they actually book through group discounts, I couldn't find a cheaper way to get there.