Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 24th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Passenger

Default Just back from AK: 2 new tours

Just back from Alaska 8/20 Inside Passage on the Island Princess. It was wonderful. The weather was perfect! It rained a little at Glacier Bay and College Fjord. My two favorite Alaskan tours were the Adventure Go Kart Expedition in Ketchikan and a Chauffeured Classic Car tour in Skagway. Keep in mind this was our third time to Alaska with Princess and this time we wanted to do something different. The weather was warm in Ketchikan about 80 degrees that day in port. Even with the layers, I should have had a short sleeve shirt on. We did the “Go Kart Adventure”. The four of us thought it was a BLAST! The bus drive toward the end was bumpy as we took a long dirt road to get to the Adventure Go Karts. After a brief orientation we were offered rain suits and mandatory Helmets. As the weather was awesome, I took the helmet and the rain jacket only. There were about 10 couples on the tour with a tour leader and one bringing up the rear. We drove over a little off road course and followed the group through wide trails, winding, hilly, picturesque and at times beautiful vista points. We stopped twice to take photos and have a snickers bar and bottle of water. I was filming parts of the ride with the video camera and took a few stills if you want to see them. After a little break, we switched drivers. I had never been in an off road vehicle like that. The karts are similar to a quad ATV but bigger and safer with three gears. Very easy, and fun, WE LOVED IT! At the end of the ride, we did get really dusty and for some reason my butt got wet. So I recommend wearing the whole rain suite. From there we took a very nice boat ride back to the ship. The boat was very comfy and we enjoyed the trip!

My other favorite tour was in Skagway. Our Dog Sledding, Glacier Flightseeing tour got cancelled (the reviews said Juneau Dog sledding was the most cancelled, so we reserved the one in Skagway. What are the odds? You never can tell in Alaska). We needed something to do to kill some time, so we walked right down from the ship to the little red tour building at the port. They had a bunch of independent tours, one of which was the “Skagway Classic Cars”. You could rent a classic car and drive yourself or be chauffeured around. We opted to be chauffeured in a 1941 Chevy Coupe. Matt, picked us up in about 10 minutes (talk about service) and drove us all around Skagway. He showed us beautiful sites that the tour busses can’t go. We saw Reed Falls, hidden away behind the old grave yard. It was an awesome waterfall with great photo ops. Then he took us by this huge beautiful lake. As we cruised around town, everyone was pointing at us and was checking out the Chevy! Matt was so nice; he even took me to a camera shop to pick up an extra flash card. The tour cost us $50 bucks an hour and we thought is was well worth it for two hours! He has a bunch of awesome classic cars to choose from. My husband was in heaven!

If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me at kmkennedy@cox.net
Sponsored Links