Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 2nd, 2005, 03:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default left behind?

Has anyone ever been left behind by their cruise ship b/c a tour didn't get them back to the dock on time? Just wondering if this has happened to anyone. I would like to book our excursions on our own but am the worry type that is concerned about the ship leaving me in Juneau.
Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2005, 05:12 PM
Karin

Default Re: left behind?

Yes, you can and WILL be left behind. I have not been to Alaska yet but in the Caribbean passengers are left WEEKLY from Cozumel (mostly due to drinking at Carlos and Charlies) and a couple was left behind when we were in St. Thomas due to a time change issue. The folks had to pay their own way to catch up with the ship or just head back to Port Everglades to get their luggage. DO NOT let yourself lose track of time, sometimes unforseen things happen to delay you that you have no control over. Can't get a taxi, public transit is late etc.

That said, any shore excursion you take through the ship will make sure you get back in time and the ship WILL NOT leave without you.

Karin
sailing on the Radiance 9/10/05
Old September 2nd, 2005, 11:14 PM
Admiral

Hi Karin,
We are on the same sailing. Are you packed? Have you signed up for the M&M on the other cruise board? See you next week.
Teresa

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old September 3rd, 2005, 10:26 AM
Karin

Packed??!! I wish . . .I am traveling with my mom and sister. We are leaving from Cleveland on Friday and staying in Vancouver a night and then again one night after the cruise. I am leaving 5 kids at home with my fabulous husband so hence, packing is last on the list :-) I have not signed up for any M & M since I really just found this board a few weeks ago. We have been on the Enchantment (twice), Nordic Empress, Jewel,
and now the Radiance. It looks virtually identical to the Jewel. The crepes on the Jewel were to die for and my mom can't wait to have one.

Karin
Old September 5th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Admiral

I have NEVER seen reports of passengers left behind due to tour operators. It is always due solely to the passenger's fault of poor planning.

My suggestion for tours- always go with the tour operator's recommendations for timing. Independent is the way to go for me with always superior Alaska tour experences.
Old September 5th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: left behind?

Karen,
That's kind of what I thought. Are there any helicopter rides you can reccommend for Ketchikan? We would like to walk on a glacier in Ketchikan because in Juneau we are going to do Capt Larry and visit Mendenhall glacier. I can already tell there is not enough time on one cruise to do it all! We are in Juneau for 13 hours but obviously we have to allow time for embarkation/disembarkation. Any suggestions would be great!
Thanks!
Old September 6th, 2005, 06:54 AM
Admiral

There are no glaciers in Ketchikan, in fact doesn't even much freeze there. Only glacier landings via helicopters are out of Juneau or Skagway on the inside passage, or Seward.

I would still suggest a combo trip with Orca Enterprises and Coastal Helicopters. Skip Mendenhall or see if you can be dropped off there is you have time left.
Old October 18th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Beginner

Per the cruise director on the ship (Carribean Criuse), if you book a shore excursion through the ship (they will give you a list of the excursions they recomend) then there is no way that you will be left. If you decide to wing it and go off on your own, well...your on your own. Also on the Carnival Capers there is a telephone number that you can get in touch with someone at the ship if a situation arrises and you wont make it back to the boat in time. So I guess the moral of the story would be to always book your shore excursions through the ship! Good Luck!
Old October 18th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Yukon Send a message via Yahoo to Yukon

>>Per the cruise director on the ship (Carribean Criuse), if you book a shore excursion through the ship (they will give you a list of the excursions they recomend) then there is no way that you will be left. If you decide to wing it and go off on your own, well...your on your own.<<

The ships are very good at preying on people's fears to make money. Book on your own - I've NEVER heard of anyone missing an Alaska ship because of a tour operator. I want my money to go to the tour operator, not the mega-billionaire ship operators - don't allow the ships to take advantage of you like that.

Murray
Old October 19th, 2005, 05:35 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilienam
Per the cruise director on the ship (Carribean Criuse), if you book a shore excursion through the ship (they will give you a list of the excursions they recomend) then there is no way that you will be left. If you decide to wing it and go off on your own, well...your on your own. Also on the Carnival Capers there is a telephone number that you can get in touch with someone at the ship if a situation arrises and you wont make it back to the boat in time. So I guess the moral of the story would be to always book your shore excursions through the ship! Good Luck!
WHAT do you think the cruise director is going to say about tours??? Yeah book independent so we can't make the big revenues that the tours generate for us??? ALL cruises have port agents to contact if YOU miss your ship. I will continue to state, if you miss your ship, you are the only one to blame for your poor planning. I have been going to Alaska for years and never have seen reports of tours causing passengers to miss their sailing. IF that were true, it would be well reported. Alaska operators are excellent at what they do and offer superior tour experiences.
Old October 19th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Beginner

While I can't speak for Alaska, I have on a couple of occasions (both times leaving Grand Cayman Island) watched as passengers are brought out to the already moving ship via speedboat. They then have to climb onboard using the rope ladder that the port authorities use to board the ship. No matter what type of tour you take, be aware of your timing while ashore.
Old October 19th, 2005, 08:39 AM
Passenger

I think as many have said that if people are so late they miss the ship, it is probably due to bars, etc. I have read of someone who had a time change they didn't listen to when told so there watches were off. If you use a little common sense, go with reputable vendor, whether thru ship or not, and do not schedule close to your departure time, you will be fine. I also consider how far away I am going to be when scheduling that cushion. I try to sched things first thing that are going the fartherest from the dock, in case of mechanical problem. For instance, in Seward, we had an engine problem on our Kenai Fjords NP boat, and were about 45min late getting back. But the independent operator had sent another boat out to shadow us just in case the other engine failed and we would have been dead in the water. So again, use common sense and don't try to squeeze too much in.