Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 17th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Beginner

Default Alaskan Cruise Shopping

I'm just beginning to shop for an Alaskan Cruise for June 2006. I have info and prices from Princess and Royal C. Do you prefer one cruise line over the other, or do you choose it by the ports of call??? Any suggestions from past Alaskan cruisers would be helpful.. This is an expensive cruise and I want to make sure that I do the best I can, I will probably only go there once in a lifetime. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2005, 05:08 AM
Admiral

Especially in Alaska what is outside the ship is a priority if ALASKA is what you are looking for.

You do not indicate- are you looking at a one way or round trip cruise? If one way- strongly consider adding another week, Alaska isn't a frequent trip for most so take advantage of being all the way there. Just excellent endless opportunities.

If you are only considering the 2 lines, some differences to consider Princess does Glacier Bay and College Fjords on their one way trips, definate plus, but goes to Whittier instead of Seward with RCI does- RCI the winner here. (BUT most people just pass through). Icy Strait Point (Hoonah) is an excellent port for some "real Alaska". Princess has ship naturalists- a clear winner. So perhaps get out on paper and make a list- look at ports, time in ports, glacier, route, price. Budget fully for costly tours, you get only half a trip without them. As for route- most Seattle cruises have 2 days of open ocean sailing and the poorest routings for scenic cruising, round trip Vancouver is superior.
Old October 18th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Alaskan Cruse shopping

Thanks very much for the response. I wish I could add a week on but my job only allows me to take one week of vacation at a time. Good idea to make a list of must sees and put that on paper. I will definitely do that and then go from there. I'm sure I'll have lots more questions before I book. We are traveling with 3 other couples.
Old October 19th, 2005, 05:29 AM
Admiral

If you are not investing more time, a round trip Vancouver sailing is the best option for scenic sailing. Easy transfer if you fly into Seattle, but you do need an extra day as it is not likely to have enough time with a same day arrival.
Old November 10th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

My husband and I are booked on the Carnival Spirit for the northbound Alaska cruise in May 2006. We have been on two other cruises and both were Carnival...both times..we were very pleased.
I had been in contact with a Carnival rep since Jan 2005 concerning an Alaska cruise. Like you, this is a huge expense for us, and will probably be a once-in-a-lifetime trip. The rep, her name is Rachel( if you need her full name and tel. ext. # I will be glad to get it for you), has been wonderful. In Sept. she called me and told me that there would be a sale on the cruise. I feel we got a great deal! We will be flying out of Knoxville TN( about a 2 hr. drive for us), on a Tuesday, flying in Vancouver BC, and staying at the Pan Pacific Hotel that night. We will board the Spirit the next day and cruise for 7 days. Airfare, pre-cruise lodging, cruise, and all taxes, transfers etc. was aprox.$3100.00! Our room has already been assigned and it has an extended balcony.
I checked with several travel agencies, and different cruise lines, and the lowest guaranteed price I could find was over $4300.00, and this wasn't an upgraded room. I think the Northbound Cruise is probably the best. You see more glaciers the last two days of the cruise, and some friends told us that if you go in May that there are more sightings of whales, birds, etc.

We have NEVER had a problem with Carnival. My husband and I don't especially care for the formal dining experience. I hate to be out all day and then have to come back early just to get dressed up to go to dinner.
For our last two cruises, we did take formal dress, but this time, we're not. We're going to try and pack as light as possible, since we will need to take more wintry clothes, than when you go to the warmer climates.

My husband and I have talked about going to Alaska for years, and when the Carnival Rep. called me, I thought WHY NOT! HAHA
Old November 12th, 2005, 07:41 AM
Admiral

You see more glaciers the last two days of the cruise, and some friends told us that if you go in May that there are more sightings of whales, birds, etc.

Not true, you see glaciers on ALL Alaska cruises and some Carnival sailings only visit College Fjords. There is a wide range of glacier possiblities and if a priority do your homework. In my opinion, having sailed all the glacier areas of the cruise ships, Glacier Bay is the highlight. Whales and birds are viewable ALL Alaska sailing season.
Old November 13th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Beginner

Lately I've taken to a yearly Alaska cruise. I hop the ship in Vancouver, do a round trip, then grab a cab home. It couldn't be more convenient. I don't do the land trips or get involved in any organized events. I'm just delighted with the ship itself as it has all the amenities I could possibly want (the pool, the exercise room, the dance floor, etc.) plus it is such a relaxing, stress-free period. My last cruise was on RCL's Radiance of the Seas. (No one has mentioned it on this board yet.) The staff was unbelievably friendly and funny. I couldn't have been more satisfied. Perhaps I'll hop on it again this year. Maybe I'll see you there. 'Hope this helps in some small way.
Old November 29th, 2005, 05:14 AM
Beginner

Airfare, pre-cruise lodging, cruise, and all taxes, transfers etc. was aprox.$3100.00! Our room has already been assigned and it has an extended balcony.
I checked with several travel agencies, and different cruise lines, and the lowest guaranteed price I could find was over $4300.00, and this wasn't an upgraded room.

Is this price per person or for the two of you??
Old November 29th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Beginner

Default Alaska Cruise Price

I cruised to Alaska on the Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas. I had several advantages: I booked in May, I wait for sales so in this case booked last minute, I booked the senior's rate (over 55), and I had no air since I live close to the dock. For a midship cabin with balcony 7-day cruise inside passage (Vancouver to Vancouver) I paid $2,780.00 (canadian dollars) for two people plus tips. I am sure of the figure since I have the bill right in front of me. My bar/gifts bill was about $800.00 cad.

It pays to be flexible.
Old November 30th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Passenger

If you book early season (May) or late season (September) you will save $$$...also in May you will see more snow, but in September you will see lots of discounting with end of season sales... we are taking the last cruise of the season on the Serenade with RCI... having only cruised once before on Princess with my children, this time just my wife and I will enjoy . Princess does not have any ships doing a round trip out of Vancouver with an indoor pool, something I wanted for sure, we paid close to $3000 for us both for a D1 superior balcony cabin, RCI does not discount any more I'm told... after researching my options flying into Seattle and transfering to Vancouver I decided it wasn't worth the small savings and added agrivation with 4-5 hours on a bus, so we are flying direct into Vancouver the day before...do your homework and you'll make good decisions and have a great time....
Old December 1st, 2005, 07:54 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qcruiser
If you book early season (May) or late season (September) you will save $$$...also in May you will see more snow, but in September you will see lots of discounting with end of season sales... we are taking the last cruise of the season on the Serenade with RCI... having only cruised once before on Princess with my children, this time just my wife and I will enjoy . Princess does not have any ships doing a round trip out of Vancouver with an indoor pool, something I wanted for sure, we paid close to $3000 for us both for a D1 superior balcony cabin, RCI does not discount any more I'm told... after researching my options flying into Seattle and transfering to Vancouver I decided it wasn't worth the small savings and added agrivation with 4-5 hours on a bus, so we are flying direct into Vancouver the day before...do your homework and you'll make good decisions and have a great time....
It USED to be big saving going end of season, but no longer. Another significant problem is this has the worse potential weather of the entire cruising season and dusk by 7pm requires careful planning of shore touring.