Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 28th, 2005, 06:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Alaska in May from Seattle

Hello everyone,
Thinking about booking Royal Caribbean out of Seattle (due to air cost) to
Alaska 7 day cruise in May 2006.

A few question for those of you that had been on this cruise out of Seattle.
Looking for a hotel near the port for pre cruise stay and also about the weather in May.

Any info will be appreicated.

Thanks,
Sherry
Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2005, 06:43 AM
Admiral

It is also an easy transfer to Vancouver as well, with superior routing for Alaska sailing.

Seattle airport has cheaper lodging. If you stay downtown, choose an area where you want to tour perhaps? Add cab fare of $25++ Seatac to downtown. Priceline may be a good option?
Old October 29th, 2005, 06:44 AM
Admiral

May on average has the best weather of the Alaska sailing season. But you will need a wide range of attire, bring, a lined lightweight jacket, knit hat, gloves, layers, 2 pair of walking shoes, rain gear.
Old October 29th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Passenger

I cruised this past May to Alaska and the weather was quite good. It was dry in Ketichan where it always rains and we had a brief rainstorm in Skagway. It was quite cool on deck at various times, so wore coats, but didn't need parkas or anything in town. Temps were in the mid 60s most days. I too would recommend cruising out of Vancouver instead. There are plenty of shuttle buses from Seattle to Vancouver. I can't remember exactly but it seems like it takes about 3 hours to get there from Seattle - no more than 4 certainly.
Old October 30th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

We opted for a Vancouver round trip but we are flying into Seattle because of frequent flier miles. Check our quickcoach.com for a shuttle from Seatac (Seattle airport) to the pier in Vancouver. It's reasonably priced.
Old November 1st, 2005, 08:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

We did the roundtrip-Inside Passage out of Seattle in September. Arrived a day early and stayed at the Marriot Waterfront. It's several blocks from Pike Place Market, a must-see, fun place. We received excellent advise from several people on this board regarding transportation. Once we landed in Seattle, we went to the "ground transportation" phone and asked for the price of a taxi vs. limo from Sea-Tac to the waterfront. The taxi was $32 and the limo was $35. Of course we opted for the limo and used a limo on the return trip to the airport. Sure beat the Princess transfers which would have cost us $18 a piece. With transfers, you're herded into a bus and wait until it's filled to capacity before you depart for the airport. You'll love Alaska. It's truly a beautiful place.
Old November 3rd, 2005, 07:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice Marie
We did the roundtrip-Inside Passage out of Seattle in September. Arrived a day early and stayed at the Marriot Waterfront. It's several blocks from Pike Place Market, a must-see, fun place. We received excellent advise from several people on this board regarding transportation. Once we landed in Seattle, we went to the "ground transportation" phone and asked for the price of a taxi vs. limo from Sea-Tac to the waterfront. The taxi was $32 and the limo was $35. Of course we opted for the limo and used a limo on the return trip to the airport. Sure beat the Princess transfers which would have cost us $18 a piece. With transfers, you're herded into a bus and wait until it's filled to capacity before you depart for the airport. You'll love Alaska. It's truly a beautiful place.
Thanks, I too have been looking athe Marriot Waterfront, I found that it was the closest to the port. As well read about the Pike Place Market and that it's a must see. Did you take a taxi to the Market or walk?
Thanks
Sherry
RCI Mariner 2005 St. Thomas St Marteen
NCL Star 2006 Seattle to Alaska
NCL Pride of Aloha 2007 Hawaii Island Hopping
url=http://www.cruiseclocks.com/][/url]
Free Cruise Clocks
Old November 3rd, 2005, 10:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Sherry: we walked from the Marriott to Pike Place Market. It's approximately 3 blocks from the hotel. We arrived at the Market at 4:00 p.m., they close around 5:30 p.m., so the flower markets were eager to sell their wares. I purchased a large bouquet of flowers for $5.00 (cost would have been $50-60 back home). I was allowed to take them on the ship, so enjoyed them throughout the week. Our cabin steward provided me with a vase.

If you stay at the Marriott, be sure to go back to the Market the next morning to watch the Fish Company crew get ready for the day. It's hilarious!

We booked a shuttle from the Marriott to the Pier. You can do this at the hotel. Total cost was $10.00 for the two of us.
Old November 6th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

The more reasonably priced hotels are north of downtown near the space needle and only about a mile from where the cruise ships dock.

If you do decide to fly in to Seattle but take a Vancouver cruise, you will spend a couple hours at the border crossing, the waits tend to be longer in the spring and summer.
Old November 8th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Passenger

Regarding the border crossing, I have gone into Canada probably 50 times in my life. The longest wait at the border crossing was 45 minutes because it was a weekend in the middle of the summer. The wait in line is zero minutes (a weekday in the spring) to 45 minutes in high summer (especially weekends). I have never had to wait longer than 45 minutes.
Old November 9th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks so much on the info regarding border times. We will be crossing the border on a Friday afternoon in late July. We now know what to expect.
Thanks again!
Old November 15th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well...I warned ya.
Old November 16th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Admiral

I agree with Seattle guy, the lines at Blaine crossing can run into hours and especially on a Friday - expect it. I aways overnight in Bellingham Wa. then leave in the am, having significant less wait, with an early start, you beat most cruise traffic and still have some time in Vancouver for a little sightseeing.
Old November 27th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Passenger

My apologies on saying the border crossing at Blaine can be shorter than several hours. After writing that, I do remember one summer Sunday that we waited about 2 hours. I guess I've just been lucky on timing for most of my trips. When we went to Vancouver in May this year (on a Wednesday at about noon) there was one car in front of us for the booth. So you can get through quickly or you can wait quite a while. There is a nice park at the crossing so everyone but the driver can get out and stretch their legs while waiting.