CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Alaska (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/)
-   -   Will I go through customs on a Seattle to Glacier Bay RT? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/303271-will-i-go-through-customs-seattle-glacier-bay-rt.html)

seattleguy37 October 31st, 2005 06:37 PM

Will I go through customs on a Seattle to Glacier Bay RT?

I'm booked on a Glacier Bay cruise RT from Seattle on HAL Westerdam in Spring 06. All the ports are in the US except a very brief stop in Victoria, B.C. but I have no intention of getting off the ship because its the last night out and I want to enjoy the remaining moments on the ship.

My question is: will we have to go through customs when we get back to Seattle anyway? I have a passport and all the other required docs...so no problem if we do, but I sort of hoped to avoid customs hassles this time around. Like most people, I do not have fond memories of time spent in American customs.

Steve in Seattle

PapaBill October 31st, 2005 07:05 PM

Customs and immigration are two distinct things. Since the ship lands in Victoria and that is the last night, more than likely you will have to get up early and present your ID to an immigration official . Customs will be down on the dock, will usually asl you for ID on the way out and very rarely do they stop a cruise passenger for an actual inspection.

Mike M November 1st, 2005 07:28 PM

Yes: You will go through Customs and Immigration when you disembark in Seattle. You will have to fill out a Customs sheet declaring all purchases made on the ship and outside of the United States. Be prepared to show documentation of any large purchases made in Alaska.

If you have made any normal purchases on your cruise you won't have anything to worry about and probably won't even be questioned.

Take care,
Mike

Janice Marie November 1st, 2005 08:30 PM

Hi Steve: we sailed on the Diamond out of Seattle Sept. 17th. Our ship stopped in Victoria, BC for several hours the last evening of our cruise. We didn't get off the ship, but still had to complete a custom's form and go through customs/immigration when we disembarked in Seattle. If you're from the States, you don't list any purchases made in Alaska, but do have to report any purchases made on board. Enjoy your cruise!

Karen16 November 12th, 2005 07:12 AM

You are not going through customs because of where you are going. You are obligated to customs because of your ship. Once you board, since it is NOT US registered, it is like you are going to a floating foreign country.

The Passenger Service's Act, is the reason for the foreign port stop of Victoria, makes no difference if you get off the ship or not. If you want to avoid customs, then you must take a US ship. So yes you will be going through customs in Seattle.

seattleguy37 November 14th, 2005 12:46 PM

Thanks Karen, thats very interesting and something nobody ever mentions, not even the cruise lines. And it now makes perfect sense.