Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 28th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Passenger

Default I'm booked! Advice on where to stay in Vancouver Aug. 20th

I'm so excited! My first cruise to Alaska- we are booked on the Island Princess leaving Vancouver on Monday, August 21st for a week! Now I need to book airfare and accommodations- I'm thinking I'd like to fly in a day early just to make sure flight delays won't mess things up for us... Any recommendations for a place to stay in Vancouver? I've heard the Butchart Gardens in Victoria are really spectacular- how difficult would it be to try and see them while we are there? How would we get there, and how much time should I allow? Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Old November 29th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Admiral

Let me answer your last questions first. You are correct that Buchart Gardens in Victoria are spectactular BUT, not woth the entire day that it would take you to get back and forth to Victoria. There is SO much to see in Vancouver alone (nevermind immediate surrounding areas) that it is not worth a trip to Victoria to see just the Gardens (more there to see as well).
I suggest for a different experience you might try one of Vancouvers Bed and Breakfasts. We stayed at O'Canada House last year for three fabulous days. It is very centrally located as one is only two short blocks to Robson St, walking distance to Stanley Park and many other attractions as well. Short cab ride to the rest. There are several top rated B&B's right along the same street in a nice upscale residential neighborhood.
Old November 29th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Admiral

If you want to get to Victoria, then come in at least 2 days early. As already mentioned there is plenty to see and do in Vancouver. You don't mention a budget??? Priceline, in the past has had spectacular awards for downtown Vancouver hotels. There is a wide range to consider.

Stanley Park is just beautiful and this garden is in Vancouver if they are an interest. http://www.vancouverchinesegarden.com/
Old November 29th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Passenger

Default Thanks for the info

Appreciate the help- I think I will just enjoy Vancouver, and not try to push to do too much. Thanks!
Old December 13th, 2005, 07:41 AM
Passenger

Default Booked Pacific Palisades for 2 nites with Priceline

Has anyone stayed here? A bit concerned as Priceline considers this a 4* property, but AAA, Fodors, Frommers, etc; have it listed as 3*... I'm mostly concerned with convenience, but hoping it's a bit more luxurious as this is our 25th anniversary we are celebrating on this trip.
Old December 13th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Admiral

dawnskers,
You will fall in love with Vancouver. Three times this year we booked our Vancouver hotels thru Priceline ONLY bidding on 4*. We got the Hyatt and Sheraton Wall for around $75-80 and were extremely happy. They are both in great locations. I would also recommend when you arrive at the airport, after you pick up your luggage, go to the Limo counter and book R/T transfer. A cab can be a little less depending on traffic but a Limo is a flat fee. We used our credit cards for everything while in Canada because they give you a good exchange rate. Also good idea about coming in the day before. A couple on our Alaska cruise in September booked their air thru the cruiseline but the connecting flight had mechanical problems and they missed the ship by 2 hours, thus missing the first 2 days. They had to fly into Juneau.

To see Vancouver, we booked the double decker bus, again paying by credit card. It's good for 2 days so we used it for on our second visit. It takes you all around the city and you can get off and on at you leisure. Once you're in Stanley Park, get off and take the park trolley around for free. Then hop back on and continue the tour. Any questions, just click on my name and email me.

Teresa

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old December 15th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default have a little nontraditional breakfast in Vancouver

try the Elbowroom Cafe.

The food is awsome, and very reasonable.

They bring your first cup of coffee, then you have to get your own refills, and water, and they lightly insult and make jokes with the customers.

There is a list of rules posted on the menu....nonsense rules

Its really very good and has headshots of local celebrities with autographs that have eaten there. Michael J Fox is one of them.

Dave
Celebrity Mercury - Alaska 09/08/06
Celebrity Century - Freeport 01/04/07
RCL Monarch OTS - Ensenada 01/11/07
Celebrity Zenith - W. Caribbean 03/23/07
Upcoming cruises:
Azamara Quest - CocoCay 10/24/07
Celebrity Century - W. Caribbean 01/03/08
Celebrity Galaxy - Mediterannean 06/09/08
Celebrity Millenium - PNW 09/19/08