Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Need Advise On Rebooking Cruise

My Husband and I are booked on the Carnival Spirit, Northbound Cruise, In Mid-May. We've only paid our deposit (paid deposit in Sept.)and have until March 2 to pay the balance. I booked the cruise thru Carnival and the agent told me not to bother with the travel insurance till after I made our final payment. I didn't know at that time, that pre-existing conditions were not covered, unless you took the travel insurance within 10 days or so of booking to be covered.
My husband had major back surgery in Jan. 05, and had been doing very well. He started having severe pain again two months ago, and after CT scan and MRI last week, the orthopedic doctor has decided that he probably has a major nerve involved in his back that is causing the pain. He is being scheduled for an epidural block in the next two weeks, with no promise that this will help the pain.
I called our Carnival rep and of course was told that full pmt is due March 2, and if we cancel after that April 2 we would forfeit 1/2 the cost of the trip and after May 2 the entire amount paid.
She checked and there are still some available dates in Sept., but no balconies without the obstructed view on 5th deck( We had a room on the 8th. deck with balcony).
I just don't think my husband is going to be well enough to go on our planned trip. I am so disappointed that I can't stand it, and I haven't even discussed the chance that we might not be able to go. If he thought I was disappointed, he would go if he had to crawl.

I need your opinions!!!!! Should I go ahead and cancel the trip in March when final pmt is due and try to rebook in Sept. Has anyone been on the 5th deck, can't remember what the deck is called. I got a great deal on the May departure, and right now, I would have to pay an additional $200 per person for the trip in Sept. Don't even know about the air fare yet, but with fuel prices going out the roof, I bet it will be higher.

OR...should I just cancel the May trip, take the deposit and rebook the same cruise for May 2007.
I haven't check any other cruise lines to see what is avaiable in Sept. or even a different route with Carnival in Sept.

What should I do??????????????????
Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Admiral

You still have 6 weeks to see how things will progress. Hopefully you will have some answers. Is there any independent cancelation insurance you could still purchase?? I would do the search yourself and see what you come up with??

As for going in Sept. is this still the one way?? Were you planning on interior travel?? Cruising until the first week of Sept is fine, but after that has the worse potential for weather of the entire sailing season. Last 2 seasons were exceptional, but very atypical. Average is for 3 days of rain, temps 40-55 and dusk by 7pm, so touring needs extra attention. It is great for fall colors and excellent end of season sales.

Depending on your direction, Denali Park shuttles stop Sept. 14. I would only suggest a northbound Sept. trip since the fall is less impacted interior Alaska that early. Great potential for northern lights and fall foliage if you are traveling distances- should see if some where but it does not last in any single area long.
Old January 12th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

We were planning on flying into Vancouver May 16, departing on cruise on 17th, and leaving ship in Whittter, with return flight out of Anchorage on May 24th.

I have looked a two or three trip insurance sites, and I believe that most of them want payment for trip within 10 days to cover pre-existing condition. We've been on two cruises before and both times we had the travel insurance added into the purchase price as soon as we booked. I could kick my butt!!!! I just didn't realize that the you needed to purchase the insurance within a certain time frame for it to cover pre-existing conidtions. When I spoke with the Carnival rep last week, she said she could go ahead and write up the insurance and let me pay for it now, and that "maybe" they would reimburse us for the trip if we had to cancel. But I would hate to take a chance on that. Since husband had major surgery in Jan. 2005, it wouldn't take a genius to figure out that this medical problem is related.
Does anyone know of an insurance company that will pay for pre-existing conditions....if I purchase the insurance now?????
Old January 13th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

Sorry, I don't know of any travel insurance that will cover pre existing from the time you booked. They always ask questions and if they did not ask about your original booking they will find out if there is a claim. Insurance companies today try to find every loop hole.

Have you asked of your own medical insurance if you would be covered. Need to detail the itinerary and ask plenty of questions.

The other item is to check other cruise lines that offer a one way as Princess and see the pricing. Celebrity, HAL and RCL just check.