My Husband and I are booked on the Carnival Spirit, Northbound Cruise, In Mid-May. We've only paid our deposit (paid deposit in Sept.)and have until March 2 to pay the balance. I booked the cruise thru Carnival and the agent told me not to bother with the travel insurance till after I made our final payment. I didn't know at that time, that pre-existing conditions were not covered, unless you took the travel insurance within 10 days or so of booking to be covered.
My husband had major back surgery in Jan. 05, and had been doing very well. He started having severe pain again two months ago, and after CT scan and MRI last week, the orthopedic doctor has decided that he probably has a major nerve involved in his back that is causing the pain. He is being scheduled for an epidural block in the next two weeks, with no promise that this will help the pain.
I called our Carnival rep and of course was told that full pmt is due March 2, and if we cancel after that April 2 we would forfeit 1/2 the cost of the trip and after May 2 the entire amount paid.
She checked and there are still some available dates in Sept., but no balconies without the obstructed view on 5th deck( We had a room on the 8th. deck with balcony).
I just don't think my husband is going to be well enough to go on our planned trip. I am so disappointed that I can't stand it, and I haven't even discussed the chance that we might not be able to go. If he thought I was disappointed, he would go if he had to crawl.
I need your opinions!!!!! Should I go ahead and cancel the trip in March when final pmt is due and try to rebook in Sept. Has anyone been on the 5th deck, can't remember what the deck is called. I got a great deal on the May departure, and right now, I would have to pay an additional $200 per person for the trip in Sept. Don't even know about the air fare yet, but with fuel prices going out the roof, I bet it will be higher.
OR...should I just cancel the May trip, take the deposit and rebook the same cruise for May 2007.
I haven't check any other cruise lines to see what is avaiable in Sept. or even a different route with Carnival in Sept.
What should I do??????????????????