Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 6th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Beginner

Default Best Times to schedule Alaska Whale Watch?

I am starting to make plans to schedule shore excursions for this summer in Alaska. What is the best time for a Whale Watch. Captain Larry has 3 possible excursion times 9:30 am, 12 noon, or 3:30 pm. Are there better times of the day to see Whales? Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just to clarify, although Capt Larry's website says 9:30am, it is really 9am with an 8:30am pick up time. I don't know if the other times changed too b/c we only booked the 9am.
Old February 6th, 2006, 11:49 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to robertmnch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CStorm
Just to clarify, although Capt Larry's website says 9:30am, it is really 9am with an 8:30am pick up time. I don't know if the other times changed too b/c we only booked the 9am.
Larry is great with his Jet Ski Boat........NOT the cleanest, but he'll get you out to the Whales Feeding Grounds much quicker, and you'll have plenty of time to see the whales. Did it once and the whales didn't cooperate, so all we saw were their eyes surveying the Whale-watching boats........I went to alaska for the first time in June 1998, and have been going back to Juneau for 7 to 14 days every July.......great place! Sightsee at my pace! Mendenhall, Fish Hatchery, Salmon Bake, just NOT enough time in a day to see everything!
Old February 7th, 2006, 03:14 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmnch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CStorm
Larry is great with his Jet Ski Boat........NOT the cleanest, but he'll get you out to the Whales Feeding Grounds much quicker, and you'll have plenty of time to see the whales. Did it once and the whales didn't cooperate, so all we saw were their eyes surveying the Whale-watching boats........I went to alaska for the first time in June 1998, and have been going back to Juneau for 7 to 14 days every July.......great place! Sightsee at my pace! Mendenhall, Fish Hatchery, Salmon Bake, just NOT enough time in a day to see everything!
If doesn't sound like you went last year?? He has a brand new boat, and I never thought the old one wasn't "clean". Went with him 4 times last year, 2 on the old, 2 on the new. Both clean boats.
Old February 7th, 2006, 03:16 AM
Admiral

First off, the times are NOT fixed for the whale watch trips with Orca Enterprises. They are adjusted for cruise ship schedules. It makes no difference WHEN you go, whales are just about eating 24/day. So you may want to consider what else you wish to do and coordinate with that.
Old March 7th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Familiar Face

Our cruise ship isn't scheduled to stay long in Juneau. So, there is only one trip of Capt. Larry's that we can make.

I booked it today! This is one that I have read so much about on this board and didn't want to miss. He promised to get us back to the ship on time!

Can't wait!

Alaska NB - RCI Radiance of the Seas - August 06