Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 7th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Beginner

Default Cruising with a toddler

My wife and I were thinking of an Alaska cruise, but we have a 15 month old boy, and a lot of cruise lines have specific programs, but for kids age 2 and over.

Has anyone taken a toddler to Alaska, and can anyone recommend to us the best cruise line for toddlers?

Any other pertinent information would be greatly appreciated. Tips, tricks, do's and dont's.

We have cruised before to the Carribean and the Mediterranean, the latter 5 months pregnant.

Thanks!

Warren
Sponsored Links
Old April 7th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Passenger

I think it's great that you want to "get out there" even with the little one... but do yourselves a favor and just wait until the child is a bit older. You are not going to want to leave the baby with strangers so you can enjoy some alone time, at least until he is at least 2 or 3 years old... if you do go then just resign yourselves to the fact that the child goes with whatever you do.... if I were you I would stick closer to home for vacation trips (camping) until the child will be more apt to enjoy and appreciate the experience, I remember when our twins were babies we took them to close destinations for weekend type trips until they were about 3, but we have friends who just took their then 6month old baby on a 3 night cruise...(we offered to take the child, they had to pay for the baby half fare, we thought they were nuts)... it's called patience.... just my 2 cents....
Old April 8th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Beginner

I agree with the last response, I love to travel have three kids - but opted to take most vacations with children close to home or more kid friendly when possible...until lately we waited until our youngest was in the 4 range to cruise and started with Disney it worked great, in addition went to yellowstone when he was 5 and to be honest that would be the youngest I would want to take a child there.

From a Mom point of view it is the Mother who ends up not having a real vacation as you are constantly worrying an catering to everyone and if the child starts to skirm and make noise you are the one who ends up leaving and walking around.

I have a sister who opted to take her child on large excursions austrailia cruises, hawaii when her kids were youn, she ended up in many ER's with ear infections and missed ports on cruises because unfortunately you cannot time when a young one gets a respiratory or ear infection...in addition when I speak with her kids now that they are grown they don't remember most of it. Just my thoughts as well....