Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 16th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Passenger

Default Sitka and Icy Strait Point

Headed for Alaska on August 5. What are the best things to see and do in Sitka and Icy Strait Point?
Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Admiral

There are many excellent tours to consider. Please look over a shore excursion list and narrow down your interests. Or at least list your Alaska touring priorities. Determine budget- this isn't the place to skimp, but there is no point in me recommending costly flights etc if out of your price range. Will you consider independent?
Old April 17th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Passenger

Thanks Karen,
First and possibly only trip to Alaska. We are planning Whale Watching with orca enterprises and a trip to Mendenal in Juneau and am thinking the White Pass Railway with maybe the bus back in Skagway. I just really wondered mainly if there was anything that Sitka or IcyStrait Point were especially noted for? We are on a limited budget so have eliminated the helicopter, although I would love that.

Thanks a bunch for all the helpfull information I have gotten off this board!
Old April 17th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Admiral

mickym,

First and possibly only trip to Alaska. We are planning Whale Watching with orca enterprises and a trip to Mendenal in Juneau and am thinking the White Pass Railway with maybe the bus back in Skagway. I just really wondered mainly if there was anything that Sitka or IcyStrait Point were especially noted for? We are on a limited budget so have eliminated the helicopter, although I would love that.

Yes.

>> Sitka was the Russian capital of Alaska, so it has several historic sites from that period including the cathedral (now a replica, as the orignal burned down a few decades ago). a team of Russian folk dancers, and, IIRC, the garrison and govenror's residence? There's also the famous raptor center, which provides veterinary care for injured bald eagles and other raptors. I think that most of these attractions are fairly inexpensive or free.

>> At Hoonah ("Icy Strait Point" on many itineraries), the tenders unload passengers at what was the pier of a historic cannery. The tour of the cannery is very intesting, and they have a rather unique way of demonstrating the operation of the canning machinery (which still works). There are also some nature trails and, IIRC, a shuttle into the small town.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old May 12th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Beginner

Default Sitka & Icy Strait Point

We are also going to ICP & Sitka. We cruise July 22-29 on Radiance of the Seas (RCCL).

I thought the bike tour at ICP sounded nice through RCCL, but seems kind of pricey ($65 for two hours). I would like to keep my cost to $50 or less at ICP because I want to spend more at other ports. Do any of you know of an independent I could do this with? I'll be there 10 hr total.

For Sitka - I have read it is a great city to walk. Since I am trying to save my funds for other ports (like whale watching at Juneau and WP&YR at Skagway), am I likely to wish I had spent money on an excursion here? The park Cathedral and Castle Hill sound interesting. Are they walkable? I'll be there 8 hr total.

Thanks! This board has been great and I just discovered it today!!!
Old May 13th, 2006, 07:37 AM
Admiral

I would definately skip a bike tour in Hoonah. The cruise port is very nice with a walking trail and museum, consider seeing those.

As for Sitka, a very walkable city, plenty to see and do. Request their visitor guide www.sitka.org
Old May 28th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

ij stika we went to st. micheals church it was nice, and did lots of shopping
icey we went on a bear tour it was great don't do this alone not safe there are lots of bears around and our guide had a gun with him
tour of the cannery was nice but veru short, you will love both ports
viv
Old May 30th, 2006, 12:41 AM
Passenger

This might sound crazy, but we just returned from Sitka and we actually rented a car and drove from one end to the other. There are only two main roads and neither goes very far but it was very interesting. Near the end of Halibut point road, there is a beautiful forest servcie campground. It has an artesian well and a wonderful boardwalk trail. There is a fish overlook (no fish were there in May!) and a beautiful clear stream. There is also a day use area. We spent a lot of time just driving through and walking some on the trails, taking lots of photos. We also did a little touring just in residential streets. We like to see what the area is really like, not just the touristy stuff. We had lunch at a local burger place that had only four tables but GREAT burgers, not a tourist attraction. Many places to walk to in Sitka if you are able. The Russian American Trading Company is worth visiting even if you don't buy anything. BEAUTIFUL Russian merchadise. They also have a city bus that is fairly inexpensive and can get you to most of the popular attractions. Our method of sightseeing is probably not for everyone, but it is an option.
Old May 30th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were in Sitka May 22, and my husband and I both loved this port!!Sitka is a tender port, and when we walked up to the parking lot after we got off the tender boat, there were several small buses that would take you down into the shopping area. This was free. We got off this bus and just started walking. We walked to the Sitka National Historical Park (about 15 min. walking distance). There is a beautiful park where you can just walk and enjoy the cool air. It was really hot the day we were there, so the cool air among the huge trees was very relaxing. There are several totem poles in this park. There are several areas where you can walk down to the shore and we have a beautiful picture of the SPIRIT, in the background.
There is a lot of shopping in the town. We ate at a great restaurant downtown, I can't remember the name, but it was right beside an old hotel. Best hamburger and fries you have ever eaten!!!!!
Old June 10th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Welcome Newcomer

We were just in Icy Strait and we really enjoyed the walk into town. It takes about half an hour and they now have a very wide gravel path off the road by the water. Keep an eye out for whales for the towns people said they see them all the time. There is not much to the town but we love to just wander. Make sure you stop at the Ace hardware store that is out over the water. Its one of the first things you come to. The manager Steve is sure to say hello and will tell anything you want to know. In fact the best thing about Icy Strait is the people. They are very friendly and love to share stories about their beautiful home.
Old June 11th, 2006, 06:48 AM
Admiral

The Office Bar is a must do stop, if you want crab. The best on the Inside Passage perhaps??? The Galley has great food too.