Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 24th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Passenger

Default Ketchikan

My family and I will be traveling to Alaska via Dawn Princess Ship on May 27th. We will be stopping in Ketchikan for approx. 6 hours. I want to do one excursion Canopy adventure/Zip line it's a 3 1/2 hour excursion. Since most of my time will be doing the adventure I am afraid I will miss out on some neat things in the town. Would an hour be enough time to check out the stores?
Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Admiral

olsonhoyt,

My family and I will be traveling to Alaska via Dawn Princess Ship on May 27th. We will be stopping in Ketchikan for approx. 6 hours. I want to do one excursion Canopy adventure/Zip line it's a 3 1/2 hour excursion. Since most of my time will be doing the adventure I am afraid I will miss out on some neat things in the town. Would an hour be enough time to check out the stores?

I would not worry too much about checking out the stores in Ketchikan since most of the Alaskan souvenirs are readily available in Juneau, Skagway, and Anchorage.

Ketchikan does have one unique attraction -- the Tlingit culture, which you can encounter at Saxman Village. There, you'll be able to see totem carvers at work and learn about their unique form of art as well as watching a presentation of Tlingit dance. The other ports of call do not have anything similar.

There is one other consideration that would cause me to reconsider any outdoor activity there. Ketchikan is the wettest city in North America, with over two hundred days of rainfall per year. A zip line tour might not be so pleasant on a rainy day.

Your choice!

Norm.
Old April 27th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Passenger

Default kETCHIKAN

REV22;
Thank you for your response. It definitely has me thinking. Of course, I don't want to miss out on anything. So your opinion is valued.

I will keep everyone posted as to my discussion. I have yet to hear from anyone that has done the zipline/Canopy Adventure.
Old April 28th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Passenger

The only stores we found unique in Ketchikan were the ones on Creek Street. The rest are about the same at Juneau.
Old April 28th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Admiral

olsonhoyt,

Thank you for your response. It definitely has me thinking.

You're welcome!

Of course, I don't want to miss out on anything. So your opinion is valued.

Then I have some very bad news. No matter what you do in Alaska's ports of call, you are going to miss more than you can possibly take in. Quite simply, the established ports of call in Alaska have more shore excursions offering a more extensive variety of activities and attractions than the ports of call in any other cruising region in the world. There is simply no way to see and to do everything in a day, or in one cruise. I have been on two cruises to Alaska and I'm thinking about going back again because there are still things that I would like to do there. Overall, I think that it's best to do an amount that's manageable wihtout making your days in port unduly stressful, and then return on another cruise to do more.

That said, you can get a pretty good sampling of Alaska in a week. There are quite a few attractions.

>> Alaska may well offer the best show tha tnature has to offer in the world. The scenery is spectacular and "The Great Land" is teaming with splendid vegitation and many, many species of wildlife -- several kinds of bears, dall sheep, puffins, sea otters, penguins, several kinds of whales, and bald eagles galore (easily spotted by looking for what appear to be golf balls in the treetops) and other raptors. Sitka's raptor center nurses injured birds back to health and returns them to the wild. There are also glaciers everywhere. In fact, the capital of Juneau is surrounded by glacial ice fields with glacers coming right down to the strait, making the city totally inaccessible by land. Depending upon timing, you may also find salmon swimming upstream to their spawning grounds while trying to evade hungry bears looking for lunch. There are also vast national parks with plenty of opportunity to explore the great outdoors. I should also mention Mount McKinley, which is the tallest mountain in the world.

>> I have already mentioned the indigenous culture of the Tlingit, which you'll encounter in the Inside Passage. Alaska also has many Aleuts and Eskimos.

>> The Russian heritage is very strong around Sitka, which was the Russian capital, and Juneau, where St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church is worth a visit. Look for the Russian nesting dolls and other souveniers of Russian culture in the shops in both of these communities.

>> Gold rushes brought many American settlers to Alaska and the Yukin. A ride on the White Pass & Yukon Route, built with "pick and shovel" in a very short time to haul prospectors and supplies into the Yukon during the wild "Days of '98," offers spectacular views of virtually impassable terran; the railroad is an engineering marvel even by today's standards. A show about the gold rush era called the "Days of '98 Revue Starring Soapy Smith" at the Eagle's Hall in Skagway, which most lines include on one or another of their tours or you can go on your own, is also quite memorable.

>> Alaska has proven to be of strategic importance to our armed forces. Japanese forces occupied the outermost Aleutian Islands during World War II, and Little Diomede was an important strategic outpost during the cold ear, when the state also hosted monitoroing sites for the Defense Early Warning (DEW) line.

>> Finally, Alaska's natural resoures are vast are barely beginning to contribute to our national economy. There are still vast untapped gold reserves, and salmon and oil are among the state's major exports.

My travel agent has a map of Alaska superimposed over a map of the forty-eight contiguous states, to the same scale, haning on the wall. "The Great Land" extends from the Canadian border to the Mexican border with the Inside Passage extending to the Atlantic coast and the Aleutian Islands extending to the Pacific coast. You definitely won't see all of it even in two or three weeks. Pace yourself, take the time to do well what you actually do, and do more next time.

Have a great crusie!

Norm.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:38 AM
Beginner

We have planned an Alaskan cruise for late July and I am also very interested in the canopy in Ketchikan please let me know if you do this and if it was worth the bang for the bucks.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 01:45 PM
Passenger

Default Zipline

Gemini,
I will report back with the update on the Canopy/Zip line. I leave on May 27th, Dawn Princess so I will report back the following week.

Yippy only a couple of more work days left.. yahoo!!!
Old May 22nd, 2006, 07:08 PM
Admiral

geminisango,

We have planned an Alaskan cruise for late July and I am also very interested in the canopy in Ketchikan please let me know if you do this and if it was worth the bang for the bucks.

If you plan to do that excursion, bring rain gear. Situated in the midst of a temperate rain forest, Ketchikan is one of the rainiest cities on the planet.

Norm.