Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 7th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Beginner

Default Prince Rupert & Ketchikan

Less than a week until our Alaska cruise. I have mostly figured out what to do in the ports but still looking for suggestions for what to do in Prince Rupert & Ketchikan. I'm not into shopping, but more into hiking and checking out the nature or history. I also heard of a good brewpub (Steamers?) in Ketchikan I may hit. Any other ideas?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Prince Rupert & Ketchikan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moleman
Less than a week until our Alaska cruise. I have mostly figured out what to do in the ports but still looking for suggestions for what to do in Prince Rupert & Ketchikan. I'm not into shopping, but more into hiking and checking out the nature or history. I also heard of a good brewpub (Steamers?) in Ketchikan I may hit. Any other ideas?
Thanks
There is a Wilderness Exploration and Crab Feast offered by Princess that sounds interesting in Ketchikan. I am pretty sure the other lines would offer it also.,
Old May 9th, 2006, 02:15 AM
Admiral

Moleman,

First, take the excursion to Saxman Village. The guides will explain the symbols on some of the totems that they have there, and you'll get to see totem carvers at work (and they do take orders, if you are interested). You'll also get to see an exhibition of Tlingit dance at the clan house. This attraction is unique to Ketchikan, so don't miss it!

When the tour returns to te pier, you can wander to the historic pub (still operating) right on the waterfront, which the tour guide probably will point out as the tour bus leaves the pier. It seems to have a pretty good reputation.

I don't have any recomendations on Prince Rupert, as my Alaska cruises have not stopped there.

Norm.
Old May 10th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
First, take the excursion to Saxman Village. The guides will explain the symbols on some of the totems that they have there, and you'll get to see totem carvers at work (and they do take orders, if you are interested). You'll also get to see an exhibition of Tlingit dance at the clan house. This attraction is unique to Ketchikan, so don't miss it!

Be prepared for a bit of rain, probably.

We did the Saxman Village, but were disappointed. We later learned that we could see more about totems in Sitka, for less money. It's a perfect port to just walk around (which is what we always do - not into riding buses to tourist trap events).
Old May 10th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Admiral

Jeff,

Be prepared for a bit of rain, probably.

In Ketchikan, rain is virtually guanateed.

We did the Saxman Village, but were disappointed. We later learned that we could see more about totems in Sitka, for less money. It's a perfect port to just walk around (which is what we always do - not into riding buses to tourist trap events).

Sorry to hear of your diappointment, but there's a lot more to Saxman Village than the totems. The show is outstanding, and it's also very interesting to watch the totem carvers at work.

Norm.