Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Passenger

Default How to return to ship after shopping in port??

I have a bad knee and was wondering about at the end of our port days, when we have finished with our excursions, and shopped in port...how easy is ti to return to the ship? with a bad knee, I am always thinking about this. Are there taxis or horse drawn carriages available, or other modes of transportation?
Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Admiral

garden4cook,

I have a bad knee and was wondering about at the end of our port days, when we have finished with our excursions, and shopped in port...how easy is ti to return to the ship? with a bad knee, I am always thinking about this. Are there taxis or horse drawn carriages available, or other modes of transportation?

In most of Alaska's ports of call, the "pier" is actually a warf (parallel to the waterfront) and the main shopping district is directly across the street. You would walk further to go to a taxi stand in Manhatten than to go back the ship in these ports.

Taxis are available in the larger towns, tough.

Norm.
Old May 12th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Admiral

Ketchikan has the least walking, shopping steps away from the ship. Juneau has more of a walk depending on dock space, Skagway has a shuttle $1.50 each way which I suggest you might want to consider.
Old May 14th, 2006, 04:33 AM
Passenger

We just returned today from our Alaska cruise. My husband has diabetic neuropathy in his feet but has been reluctant to use a walker. His feet get very painful, making it difficult for him to walk. I convinced him to take his walker with us on our cruise (it's foldable) and it was a God-send. It helped him get around the ship and also in ports of call. They are not that expensive and your doc. might even be able to write a prescription for one and have insurance cover part of the cost. As I tell my husband, walkers are not for people who don't want to walk, they're for people who want to walk MORE.
Old May 14th, 2006, 04:33 AM
Passenger

We just returned today from our Alaska cruise. My husband has diabetic neuropathy in his feet but has been reluctant to use a walker. His feet get very painful, making it difficult for him to walk. I convinced him to take his walker with us on our cruise (it's foldable) and it was a God-send. It helped him get around the ship and also in ports of call. They are not that expensive and your doc. might even be able to write a prescription for one and have insurance cover part of the cost. As I tell my husband, walkers are not for people who don't want to walk, they're for people who want to walk MORE.
Old May 14th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

HI Grandma,
What type of weather did you have while you were in Alaska? What ports did you visit?
We leave Wednesday and I'm getting so EXCITED!!!!
Old May 14th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Passenger

Hi Judy, weather was not that bad. We had rough seas the first day out - complimentary barf bags at every elevator!! Juneau was rainy but not very cold. Those who rode the gondola said it was snowing some at the top. Hubbard Glacier was excellent, no wind so very comfortable while we were stopped. We got very close to the glacier. Sitka was off and on showers, but again not cold at all. We even had some sun breaks. I wore pants thinner than levis, a t-shirt type top and a light jacket and I was fine. I should say that I'm from Oregon so the weather was not a factor for me. If you're from Arizona you may be cold!! Ketchikan, the rain capital of the USofA was dry and sunny! We stopped at Victoria on the way home and it was sunny and WARM. We sat on our verandah in shirtsleeves and watched the sunset and we were warm. Guess we lucked out. All in all, a better trip than I expected for May. Hope you have a wonderful time. What ship are you on?
Old May 15th, 2006, 06:31 AM
Admiral

I returned a week ago and will never again go so early. We had rain 6 out of 7 days, very rough sailing at times. Of course, no getting into Tracy Arm to the Sawyers- knew this when I booked, but most people did not.

Some very unprepared passengers. Don't be one on your trip!!
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Cruise Maniac

We're on the Carnival Spirit, From Vancouver to Whittier.
Sure hope we have a little bit better weather than you guys. But we're from Virginia, and it's been in the 50's here for the past 10 days and down into the upper 30's at night, and we're used to rain. My husband and I are just going to go with the flow... and have a great time!!!!!!
I'll let you know how our trip went when I get back.
Old May 18th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen16
I returned a week ago and will never again go so early. We had rain 6 out of 7 days, very rough sailing at times. Of course, no getting into Tracy Arm to the Sawyers- knew this when I booked, but most people did not.

Karen-
This may sound silly, but:
How does that work with the excursions? If it's cancelled because of weather, do you normally get a refund? Or a credit of some sort. I know for the helicopter tours they always say weather permitting.

Thanks,
Mark
Big Red Boat July 1988
Old May 18th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Admiral

Mark,

How does that work with the excursions? If it's cancelled because of weather, do you normally get a refund? Or a credit of some sort. I know for the helicopter tours they always say weather permitting.

If the operator cancels a shore excursion for any reason whatsoever, the cruise line credits the full price of the excursion to the shipboard accounts of the passengers who booked it.

Note, however, that this could happen after bookings have closed for other excursions. Most cruise lines will try to accommodate passengers affected by a cancellation on whatever excursions that have open seats on the last bus or whatever, but the excursions with open seats might not include your second choice.

Norm.
Old May 19th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen16

Karen-

Thanks,
Mark
Full refunds, no matter how you book, independent or ship excursion.

With the explosion of cruise visitors, if your flight is canceled it will be VERY unlikely to be rebooked. The schedules are fully booked with little if any "down" time. It used to be quite easy to get later flights but no longer. Juneau on busy days unloads close to 15,000 passengers/day. There isn't going to be much if any open space.

So always have back up plans, know what tours are offered in each port so you can at least maybe do something. The advance homework will definately pay off, since flights are canceled at the last minute.