Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:23 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default September Northern Lights ????

WHAT ARE THE CHANCES TO SEE NORTHERN LIGHTS THE FIRST WEEK OF SEPTEMBER?

BAndrews
Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:32 PM
Admiral

BAndrews,

WHAT ARE THE CHANCES TO SEE NORTHERN LIGHTS THE FIRST WEEK OF SEPTEMBER?

If they are active and you go out on deck at night, pretty good. There are no guarantees as to when the aurora borealis will be active.

Norm.
Old May 24th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Admiral

Where are you going to be??? Fairbanks is the top location, if a priority, spend as many nights as you can outside of the city (or get up in the night and drive). The large hotels, some do wake up calls, but the viewing from downtown is NOTHING like the full potential. I really like getting out in my car and driving up the Steese, just past the Chena Hot Springs exit, and over the hill. Pull over on the side of the road.

It is difficult to view from a ship, most often just not dark enough. Ships that have front decks below the bridge are excellent. Also be aware, that aurora from inside passage is nothing like interior Alaska, mostly horizonal instead of full overhead.

IF a priority, DAILY, check the Fairbanks U, geophysical site for that night's predictions. I alway rely on it. You need a dark clear night, meaning no clouds, even a full moon will greatly impact. You must be able to see stars.

It is hit and miss. My last years trip of 19 days third week of August/Sept, had 1 night of clear skys and northern lights- I spent over 3 hours out. A two week trip in March had 10 days of superb aurora views one year then only 1 night of views the next out of 14 days.
Old May 24th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Northern Light--Karen16

I WISH WE WERE GOING TO FAIRBANKS, BUT THAT WILL HAVE TO BE ANOTHER TIME. WE WILL BE ONBOARD SHIP AND WAS TOLD TO START LOOKING AT NIGHT JUST BEFORE GLACIER BAY AND BEFORE WHITTIER.

IN YOUR EXPIERENCE IS THIS LIKELY?

BAndrews
Old May 25th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Northern Light--Karen16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandrews
I WISH WE WERE GOING TO FAIRBANKS, BUT THAT WILL HAVE TO BE ANOTHER TIME. WE WILL BE ONBOARD SHIP AND WAS TOLD TO START LOOKING AT NIGHT JUST BEFORE GLACIER BAY AND BEFORE WHITTIER.

IN YOUR EXPIERENCE IS THIS LIKELY?

BAndrews
Northern Lights are BASED upon sky conditions, NOT where you are sailing Alaska. Who ever told you this doesn't have a clue- sorry. Especially their Whittier recommendation- first off you can be in Whittier probably around midnight, latest 2am and poor viewing with all the lights. Going northbound you are outside Glacier Bay early morning, not late night- this is the humpback watching area.

My experience only- IF this is a priority AND you do not want to waste a lot of time on nothing- as I state above- DAILY check the Fairbanks Geophysical site- this is your best accurate information. http://www.gi.alaska.edu/predict.php3

Then IF you have clear dark skys (it won't matter if the predictions are "highly active") if you can't see stars you won't see any aurora. Anything less than "active" forget it on the inside passage and get your sleep.
Old May 25th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Northern Lights

THANKS KAREN 16 FOR YOUR INFORMATION. IT WOULD BE WONDERFUL IF WE COULD SEE A DISPLAY, BUT YOUR RIGHT, NO USE STAYING UP ALL NIGHT, TOO MUCH TO DO AND SEE THE NEXT DAY . WE WILL CHECK IT OUT ON OUR NEXT TRIP TO ALASKA. NEXT TIME WE REALLY WANT TO EXPLORE THE INTERIOR AND EVEN UP TO PRUDHOE BAY.

THANKS AGAIN,
BAndrews
Old May 25th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Admiral

Karen,

Northern Lights are BASED upon sky conditions, NOT where you are sailing Alaska. Who ever told you this doesn't have a clue- sorry. Especially their Whittier recommendation- first off you can be in Whittier probably around midnight, latest 2am and poor viewing with all the lights....

Then IF you have clear dark skys (it won't matter if the predictions are "highly active") if you can't see stars you won't see any aurora. Anything less than "active" forget it on the inside passage and get your sleep.

Yes, that's exactly right. You need to have very clear skies after nightfall in an area where there are no other lights for best viewing.

The time of year does play a role, though. Around the time of the summer solstice, it remains light well into the evening so one can only see the aurora borealis late at night. In September, the earlier nightfall makes them visible much earlier in the evening.

Norm.
Old May 26th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17

The time of year does play a role, though. Around the time of the summer solstice, it remains light well into the evening so one can only see the aurora borealis late at night. In September, the earlier nightfall makes them visible much earlier in the evening.

Norm.
This is totally inaccurate. There is NO CHANCE of seeing any aurora around summer solstice. Actually on average, never visable from early May until mid August, in Alaska.
Old May 26th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Admiral

Karen,

This is totally inaccurate. There is NO CHANCE of seeing any aurora around summer solstice. Actually on average, never visable from early May until mid August, in Alaska.

I believe that's true of the interior, but what about from the Inside Passage, Kodiak, or the Aleutians?

Norm.
Old May 26th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Admiral

Again, you don't know what you are talking about. Absolutely nowhere in Alaska will you see the northern lights outside of the list above.

You make inaccurate statements, then later write "I believe"???