Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:10 PM
Passenger

Default July cruise to Alaska - weather?

We leave San Francisco on July 5th for Alaska. What kind of weather should I expect?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old May 24th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Admiral

The "unexpected"..

Couldn't resist. You will need the same attire for Alaska cruising no matter when you go. Layers, knit hat and gloves, lined lightweight jacket.

Especially in Alaska, no way to predict any weather.
Old May 24th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Admiral

BEcruiser,

We leave San Francisco on July 5th for Alaska. What kind of weather should I expect?

Around Ketchikan and Juneau, normal daytime temperatures are in the lower 60's and rain is very likely.

Around Skagway, normal daytime temperatures are around 80 and sunshine is likely.

Around glaciers, air temperatures probably will be in the 30's and the likelihood of rain varies but Glacier Bay, Yakutat Bay ("Hubbard Glacier"), and College Fjord have a good shot at fair weather.

I recommend a winterweight zipper jacket, gloves, and a winter hat if you are going to visit any glaciers and a couple sweaters or sweatshirts and a waterproof windbreaker in any case.

Norm.
Old May 27th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Passenger

Default July cruise to Alaska - weather?

Thanks for the info - I will be sure to bring warm clothes and rain gear!
Old May 27th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Walmart has a great rainproof jacket. They are located in the area where the camping gear and fishing items are. Mine has a zipper, velcro on the wrists, a hood with a piece that extends over your forehead, kinda like a bill on a baseball hat. They had the kind that was flannel on the inside or just the jacket. I have the plain type, and I just wore a sweatshirt underneath it. Price was aprox. $15.00., they also have the pants that match.
Husband and I just got back from Alaska this past Thursday, and the weather was GORGEOUS the entire week. The folks in Ketchikan said that the day we were there was the first time they hadn't had rain in months. It was in the 80's in Juneau and Skayway and Sitka was just beautiful. Brillant blue skies each day, with temp's at night in the 40's. We went to Mendenhall Glacier and people were in shorts and t-shirts.
The only time I needed my coat was at night on deck.
First time to Alaska, and we had a wonderful time!!!!!!!! The scenery will just about take your breath away. If you didn't get a balcony room, try to change your room....my husband just about lived on the balcony. When the naturalist tells you that a whale is on your side of the ship, you just step out the door to your room and there is it.
We decided to go in May because several of our friends had done this before and said if you were lucky that you would have great weather, which we did. I don't think we would have loved the cruise as much if we hadn't been able to see all the snow on the mountains, and the waterfalls coming out of the mountains just took my breath away.
I hope you have a wonderful time!!!!! If you have any questions, you can email me at judysalyers1951@hotmail.com