Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 2nd, 2006, 07:14 PM
Passenger

Default Tracy Arm US

Hello,
New to all of this, so forgive me please.
I see on my itinerary Tracy Arm arrive 6:00 and board ship 9:30. Is this just a "pit stop" or do you actually get off the ship for just 3 hours.
All the other stops have plenty of hours to book excursions.
Thanks for the help.
gmann
Tennessee
Sponsored Links
Old June 2nd, 2006, 07:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Tracy Arm isn't a port -- it's an area of scenic cruising. It's a fjord which terminates at North and South Sawyer glacier. It's beautiful -- we did it on an NCL ship a couple of years ago. You don't always get up to the end, where the glaciers are located -- sometimes the fjord gets iced out, but we were lucky enough to be able to see both North and South Sawyer.
Old June 5th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Tracy Arm US

Hi gmann.

Tracy Arm is scenic crusing. You will not get off the ship. The times posted is actually the time you will arrive at Tracy Arm and the time the ship will leave Tracy Arm . Same for Glacier Bay. The ship will be positioned at several angles so everyone get a view. Depending on the ice formations and the amt of ice your ship will cruise as close as safely possible to different glaciers.

We too were confused about the wording. We thought we would be dropped off to explore which is not the case. If you booked a balcony stateroom this is the perfect time to have breakfast on your balcony.

Hope this answers your question.

Have a GREAT first cruise.
BAndrews
Old June 5th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Admiral

Just be aware, so far this year, cruise ships have NOT gotten with in view of either Sawyer. and don't count on it until June in your planning anyway. I was on the first sailing of the Wind this year. Of course I knew when I booked it wasn't going to make it- (if the NCL add on options are available , this is a must do in my opinion). But a GREAT many people expected a glacier view and the narrator- did a "good" cover up job in his descriptions. Often ships time out and have to leave and there is not sure time of getting in there. The fjords are 30 miles long and on average during the cruise season, I would speculate that not even half the ships sailing there get up to view the Sawyers.

So if you want to see glaciers, be certain to at least get to Mendenhall.
Old June 11th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Passenger

Dear Gmann,
We had a wonderful morning in Tracy Arms on May 26, 2006 We saw the North Sawyer Glacier and our wonderful Captain van der Zee of Holland America Volendam got us within view of the South Sawyer. It was stated that this was the furthest of any ship this season in Tracy Arms. Our May 2004 Zaandam cruise got us within almost touching view. We did see more ice. You will see alot of beautiful waterfalls so enjoy your views.
VonPrinc