Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 2nd, 2006, 07:48 PM
Passenger

Default White pass rail tour

Why is this tour so "awesome"? We want to get the most for our tour bucks and everyone seems to think this is not to be missed.
How long an excursion is it?
As you can guess, we haven't gotten our brochures yet. Just booked two days ago for July 16th cruise.
Thanks for your help.
gmann
Tennessee
Sponsored Links
Old June 2nd, 2006, 08:01 PM
Passenger

Default Re: White pass rail tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmann
Why is this tour so "awesome"? We want to get the most for our tour bucks and everyone seems to think this is not to be missed.
As you can guess, we haven't gotten our brochures yet. Just booked two days ago for July 16th cruise.
Thanks for your help.
gmann
Tennessee
It is primarily the scenery and going to the places that the "Gold Rushers" travelled with sometimes, a large loss of life. It depends on which option you take as their are some options as far as distance but If I remember correctly, the short one is 4 hours and the long one is all day (8 hours). It is a good trip but I personally chose fishing in Chilkoot Lake this time.

Western Caribbeam Carnival 2005
Eastern Caribbean Holland America Zaandam 2006
Alaska Diamond Princess 2007
Western Caribbean 2008
Southern Caribbean 2008
Old June 3rd, 2006, 10:55 AM
Captain

As with all excursions a lot of your enjoyment depends on you. Your likes and dislikes, etc. For example, Cobia Captain is going fishing and will probably have a great time and trip. Personally I don't like to fish so I would be miserable. Just differences and neither of us is wrong by any stretch.
So for the White Pass trip to be awsome, which I think it is.................no fishing involved .................. you have to love incredible scenery, trains, and history. I'm 3 for 3 on these "needs". Honestly if you don't care for 2 or 3 of those things.......you'll probably be bored.
Check out the White Pass rail website and you'll get a better feel of what would be in store for you.
Have a great trip.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 11:47 AM
Admiral

Why is it not to be missed? If you are lucky enough to have a reasonably clear day, as we did when we did it, it is one of the great scenic experiences of the world. My recollection is , it takes about three hours.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old June 3rd, 2006, 11:59 AM
Captain

The best fun on a good weather day is standing outside between cars. Hold your breath in the tunnel however....cough cough.
Old June 5th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Admiral

gmann,

Thanks for your help.

1. This rail line passes through some of the most spectacular terrain anywhere in the world.

2. The construction of this railroad -- quite literally by pick and shovel in a very short time -- is a marvel of civil engineering even by modern standards. In fact, it's not clear that modern machinery could duplicate it.

3. The period coaches, unaltered landscape, and visibility of the Chilcoot Trail provide an unmatched journey into the era of the Yukon Gold Rush. The White Pass & Yukon Route also played a profound role in the history of both Skagway and the Yukon Territory, turning the former into a major port that served as the gateway to the latter. The narration also points out sites of historical significance along the route.

4. For railfans, it's an opportunity to ride on a real train. 'Nuff said.

Norm.
Old June 5th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Passenger

I have 2 pictures in the web site below on the White pass trip. The trip to the summit is about 3.5 hours. I loved it.

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/view.php?id=2759
Old June 5th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Passenger

I have 2 pictures in the web site below on the White pass trip. The trip to the summit is about 3.5 hours. I loved it.

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/view.php?id=2759
Old June 5th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
gmann,

[

3. The period coaches, unaltered landscape, and visibility of the Chilcoot Trail provide an unmatched journey into the era of the Yukon Gold Rush. The White Pass & Yukon Route also played a profound role in the history Norm.

For clairfication this is not true. You have NO VIEW of the Chilkoot trail from the White Pass Rail Road. The White Pass and Chilkoot trails were 2 totally separate paths to Lake Bennet that did not intersect until there. It is the White Pass that the rail bed is built upon and near. The Chilkoot trail was much shorter but far more steep and narrow. The White Pass was far more passable. By the time the rail was completed, the gold rush was over. The gold fields were 500 miles away.

Here is a map since Norm will need verification. http://www.wpyr.com/multimedia/routemap.html
Old June 6th, 2006, 12:26 AM
Admiral

Karen,

For clairfication this is not true. You have NO VIEW of the Chilkoot trail from the White Pass Rail Road. The White Pass and Chilkoot trails were 2 totally separate paths to Lake Bennet that did not intersect until there. It is the White Pass that the rail bed is built upon and near. The Chilkoot trail was much shorter but far more steep and narrow. The White Pass was far more passable. By the time the rail was completed, the gold rush was over. The gold fields were 500 miles away.

Did you ever ride the train?

The standard narration does point out the foot trail up the canyon in the vicinity of Dead Horse Gulch. At worst, I have the wrong name.

Norm.
Old June 6th, 2006, 02:17 AM
Cruise Maniac

Norm are you and Karen married or brother and sister You guys certainly act the part....
Old June 6th, 2006, 07:47 AM
Admiral

Yes I have ridden the train several times, including the steam engine.