Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 9th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Passenger

Default Glacier calving

I read about glacier calving and it seems to be an exciting thing to see. We go in Tracy Arm - will we experience any?
Maybe someone can tell of their experience with the calving.
Thanks,
gmann
Sponsored Links
Old June 9th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Passenger

I was at Tracy Arm on Wednesday May 31 and we did not see any calving. The ship didn't get right next to the glacier as there was too much ice. I don't know if the ship does in fact go closer to it when/if it can. Then maybe there will be calving. However, Tracy Arm was the most beautiful place to see! The quiet, serene, and breathtaking scenery will be in my memory forever, you will love it!
Old June 9th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Passenger

Well, I hope we will love it. This is our first cruise ever. We've always said we like to see Alaska some day - well, one day I just went to get a brochure and the same day we booked.
We're going in July on the Sun Princess.
gmann
Old June 9th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Yukon Send a message via Yahoo to Yukon

Hubbard is the most active glacier in Alaska, and the calving last week was absolutely astounding. I took 300 pictures in an hour and a half - that's how good it was! A few of the pictures are posted at http://www.explorenorth.com/articles/alaskacruises2006/

Murray
Old July 9th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Passenger

Default Hubbard Glacier

We were there in late May 2006, what a fantastic sight! It was surely the best part for my family. As we inched our way into the icy waters of the Inside Passage, you could hear the ice crunching beneath us...and large chunks of ice float past us that were as deep as we could see in the green, green ocean. As we stood on our 8th floor balcony with our neighbors - we heard a thundering sound, (we kept looking at the sky - we thought it was gonna rain!) and someone screamed - get your camera ready its gonna calve...we had no idea what she was talking about but we saw it come crashing down right in front of us - spectacular! It happened over and over as we watched mesmerized by this beautiful act of nature. The Captain pulled as far into the Glacier area as he could, then stopped the ship and gently spun it, so that no matter where you were on the ship you sould see the sights. It was cold, maybe 40 degrees, but it was amazing and something we will never forget!
Old July 10th, 2006, 04:44 AM
Admiral

The problem with Tracy Arm is it's a crap shoot, if you get up to the Twin Sawyers, a good portion of the ships do not. Many will "time out" even though they will come over the loud speaker claiming too much ice, unsafe etc.

IF you are on the Sun NCL, I highly recommend you purchase their add on Tracy Arm tour, this jet boat gets way closer for an extended time and greatly superior to any viewing from your ship. The only other way to take this is if you are all day in port with an arrival by 7am, departure 7pm at the earliest. Problem is, it takes up all your port time. I've gone with Auk Nu, Adventure Bound gets rave reviews.
Old July 15th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Passenger

We were also at Hubbard last week. My sis & I had a craft class we went to before we got there & we saw a humpback right out our window - the guys went to the heli pad & saved us a spot right in front. All I can say is wow!!!!!!. I believe the captain said he was getting within 1200 yards. Great pictures, saw some seals sunning themselves on an iceberg. Even though it may be sunny out - if you right up front like that have a windbreaker, scarf, stocking cap, sunglasses, GLOVES! It gets cold. The sound & the awesome power of that ice is something. Have your camera ready with fresh batteries, we could hear all around us people saying "oh my batteries are going dead!"

Mark&Deb