Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 9th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Passenger

Default Port or Starboard

I don't know yet which side my balcony room is on. We are going to Alaska on July 16 on the Sun Princess.
I did read that glacier viewing was better on the port side but how about when you are in port? And want to people watch?
First time cruiser so I didn't know to ask for a specific room.
gmann
Sponsored Links
Old June 9th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Port or Starboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmann
I don't know yet which side my balcony room is on. We are going to Alaska on July 16 on the Sun Princess.
I did read that glacier viewing was better on the port side but how about when you are in port? And want to people watch?
First time cruiser so I didn't know to ask for a specific room.
gmann
If you are going south, port is best. If you are going north, starboard is best. As far as people watching, it depends on how the ship docks, whether it docks on the port side or starboard side.

Western Caribbeam Carnival 2005
Eastern Caribbean Holland America Zaandam 2006
Alaska Diamond Princess 2007
Western Caribbean 2008
Southern Caribbean 2008
Old June 9th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

GMANN,
DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR ROOM NUMBER IS? OUR TA GAVE US OUR ROOM NUMBER WHEN WE BOOKED. YOU CAN GO TO PRINCESS.COM AND CLICK ON THE SHIP YOU ARE SAILING, THEN CLICK ON DECK, LOOK UP YOUR RM NUMBER AND YOU WILL BE ABLE TO SEE YOUR ROOM.

THAT REALLY EXCITED US TO BE ABLE TO SEE WHAT THE ROOM LOOKED LIKE AND WHAT SIDE OF THE SHIP WE WERE ON.
WE ARE SAILING TO ALASKA IN SEPT. ON THE DIAMOND PRINCESS.

BAndrews
Old June 9th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Passenger

No, our TA said it was a guaranteed balcony room, but didn't have it set yet. I think the cruise line will let me know in my documents.
Old June 9th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

YOU WILL BE GOING NORTH SO LETS HOPE YOU HAVE A STARBOARD CABIN. A FRIEND OF OURS CLUED US IN ON A FEW THINGS WHEN THEY RETURNED FROM THEIR CRUISE TO ALASKA, ONE OF WHICH WAS TO ASK FOR A STATEROOM WITH A BALCONY AND ASK FOR THE STATEROOM ON THE STARBOARD SIDE.

BAndrews
Old June 10th, 2006, 07:47 AM
Admiral

Everybody's wrong, the Sun Princess is round trip Seattle. And if it were a one way- and the priority is for balcony glacier viewing, it's the port side that is one to have, if sailing Glacier Bay and College Fjords. Hubbard doesn't matter and neither does the Sawyers. You have the biggest chance of no glacier viewing on Tracy Arm, best is to book the add on jet boats that NCL has on some sailings, greatly superior. Otherwise it's a crap shoot, views on the Inside Passage on both sides.