Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 13th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Passenger

Default Dressing for Alaska

Hi,
Not too worried about the clothes, but I do have a question. Even though it is summer time, do you wear fall and winter clothes up there? Or do you bring your brightly colored summer stuff and just layer.
I realize when you cruise to the islands, it's mostly bathing suits and flip flops.
I would think a crisp white shirt and docker type pants would be fine for the dining room.
We are on the Sun Princess on July 16th.
gmann
Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Beginner

gmann,

We've been to Alaska 4 times on cruises and have found that layering is definately the best way to go. The weather in Alaska is incredibly variable! We've been there in July and saw cold and rain, and we've been there in May and saw sun and 70 degree temperatures. We pack for spring/fall weather with a few summer clothes just in case. Bring an umbrella or rain coat if you plan on walking around the towns. You'll love Alaska!
Old June 14th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Admiral

gmann,

Not too worried about the clothes, but I do have a question. Even though it is summer time, do you wear fall and winter clothes up there? Or do you bring your brightly colored summer stuff and just layer.
I realize when you cruise to the islands, it's mostly bathing suits and flip flops.
I would think a crisp white shirt and docker type pants would be fine for the dining room.
We are on the Sun Princess on July 16th.

In the inside passage, expect daytime temperatures in the 60's and a couple days of rain. Skagway tends to be warmer (upper 70's) and sunny.

Around glaciers, expect water temperatures at 32 degrees (yes, the bays are full of ice from the calving of the glaciers!) and air temperatures around 40 degrees.

In Anchorage, expect air temperatures in the upper 70's or lower 80's.

And in Vancouver, expect temperatures around 30 degrees... Celsius, that is.

Norm.
Old June 14th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Admiral

When ever you visit Alaska, you need a wide range of attire, fall wear is best, but bring a few shorts. Laying is necessary. Include knit hat and gloves, IF you plan on spending any time out on deck. Some people do not, figure out if you will???
Old June 15th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

I like a long sleeve t-shirt and a vest of some type. I wore a quilted vest most of the cruise. As Karen stated, you will need a hat and gloves if you plan on staying on deck. When the ship is clipping along at 25 knots, the wind is chilly on deck.
Karen had posted last month that there were a lot of unprepared people on her cruise. On our cruise last month, there were numerous woman on deck that had on high heels, tank tops, etc. They had to be freezing to death! I might be wrong, but I just don't think high heels are what you want to wear when you're climbing outdoor stairs that are slick with dew or fog. One man had to practically carry his wife up and down the stairs and hold onto her when they were walking on deck, she must have had on 4 in. heels. We never saw her that she didn't look like a fashion plate, tight, tight jeans, sparkly low tops, and the high heels. My husband and a couple of other men were laughing one day that they sure would like to see what she wears when she's at home, if she dressed like that to go to Alaska. HA
Old June 20th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Passenger

I was just in Alaska on May 26th - June 3rd. First I can say enough how great Alaska really is, it's breathtaking.

As for clothing, I packed a (Wisconsin) fall jacket, wore those stretchy gloves you can get for a 1.00 (12.00 on the ship) and a baseball cap. I only wore that when we were going through Tracey Arm and were outside on the deck. During the town excurisons I wore a heavy sweatshirt, and I was comfortable.

I would definitely dress in layers, long sleeve t-shirt, sweatshirt.

I really didn't bring that many articles of clothing, I was ready to purchase some alaskan shirts.

Have a wonderful trip.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 07:15 PM
Passenger

I havent been myself but I head that a backpack comes in handy for the layers of cloths. They said it was a bummer to carry jackets and such around all day.