Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 15th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Beginner

Default Help - Princess Land Excursion ideas needed

I have been reading a lot of the back posts, but have not seen this question. For our 25th Anniversary, my DH and I will be doing both a cruisetour and cruise. Starting July 23 we will spend 2 nights each at the Fairbanks Princess, Denali Princess, Copper River Princess and Kenai Princess. July 31 we board the Island Princess and end in Vancouver on August 7. I've gotten a lot of good info on shore excursions, but does anyone have ideas for the land excursions out of Fairbanks, Denali (where I'm happy to see we are on the Tundra Wilderness Tour ), Copper River or Kenai?? DH won't do small planes or helicopters, so those trips would be out
Another question, does anyone know what the dress "code" is like on the land portion? Casual? Hopefully no "dress up nights". I understand we are to have 1 suitcase for that portion of the trip and I have no idea what to pack. I enjoy reading the posts, and learning from all of you. Hopefully, someone can answer my questions
Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Admiral

In my opinion, in Fairbanks you need a car. Cruisetour shuttle service isn't going to get you to most of the attractions. Fairbanks U has an excellent museum, botanical gardens, large animal research tour. Downtown has the Public Lands building, well worthwhile, plus the Ice Museum, again very interesting. There should be a shuttle to Pioneer Park, great exhibits, take the time to read the plaques on the buildlings. Very good salmon bake, but I ONLY go there when it opens. They have gotten so big with tour groups that they no longer exchange for clean plates at the salad bar. Gross contamination in my opinion. The Palace Theater has an excellent show. Ester Gold Camp is also worthwhile.

Denali Park, consider some of the park activities www.nps.gov/dena ranger lead activites nightly, at Savage River, dog sled demo.

Copper Center, highpoint is McCarthey and Kennicott Mine, but my clear preference is flying in, very very rough slow going road otherwise. This is a great fishing area. The most scenic portion of the Richardson is Copper Center south to Valdez. Do you go this routing???

Cooper Landing, FISHING and more fishing, about the only activity in the area. There will be tours to Seward, if a shuttle available, Sealife Center, Exit Glacier, Seavey's sled dogs. Otherwise consider a Kenai fjords boat tour- of at least 6 HOURS ON THE WATER. Do not consider any shorter.

This portion of your trip is completely casual, never any time do you dress up.
Old June 18th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Beginner

Default Karen 16

Thank you Karen 16 for your reply. I'm happy to hear it's casual - I have also stopped attending the formal nights on the ship and was hoping there was nothing like that on the land portion. I will do some research on the suggestions you made, and also try to find out my route.