Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 19th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Admiral

Default Weather in September

Well, we finally decided to take the plunge and book an Alaska cruise.. we usually do the Caribbean, but just recently got a replacement for a 14 day cruise we were on (with numerous problems!) and Celebrity was reasonable enough to offer us another 14 day cruise, so we decided to try Alaska.

We're thinking of September of 2007, does anyone know what the weather is like that time of year?

Thanks in advance!

...Jean

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

We did a round trip Inside passage Sept. 2005. Encountered days in the mid 60's, except for the day we sailed Tracy Arm (drizzle and 48 degrees). Skagway was sunny and 72. I don't know if the weather we experienced was unusual, but we had no complaints. As other cruisers will tell you, the key for packing for an Alaska cruise is - layers, layers, layers. Jeans, long sleeved shirt, sweat shirt and light weight rain gear kept up warm on deck during our sail through Tracy Arm. Oh...and we brought waterproof gloves along.

Documentaries don't do Alaska justice. It's an awesome experience.
Old June 20th, 2006, 04:54 AM
Admiral

It makes a big difference on when in Sept. Frankly, for the best chances and for a first timer, I don't recommend past the first week.

ON average- later, you can expect temps 40-55, 3 days of rain, dusk by 7pm. This timeframe has the worse potential for weather compared to the entire Alaska season. This is based on my trips over the last 12 years. You are going to get reports about, good weather, not the norm over time.

It also used to be the rock bottom give away cruises, this is when I sailed this timeframe. Was always my 2nd or 3rd trip of the year and previous were always better. But the bargains aren't there any longer as supply and demand have evened out the bookings.

If you go in this timeframe, be well prepared in your attire, makes all the difference between a great and miserable trip.

Some tours may not be available, so if you have some priorities, be certain they will be available for you.
Old June 20th, 2006, 07:54 AM
Admiral

Thanks for the info.........we usually cruise warmer climates, so it will be VERY strange packing cold weather clothing for a cruise! This one leaves Sept 14th, 2007, so hopefully the weather won't be TOO cold then, but it certainly sounds like an exciting experience!

Any and all info is appreciated from experienced Alaskan cruisers!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old June 20th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Admiral

You are going in the timeframe I describe above. I have 21 trips to Alaska, if possible consider going eariler. Overall all around better except for the shopping discounts.