Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 10th, 2006, 12:55 AM
Passenger

Default 07/18/07 Carnival Spirit Southbound

Anyone else booked at this time? We're so excited that we have a stickly-note posted to our computer to remind us we can book our shore excursions beginning on Jan. 19, 2007.

Rick & Susan
Bakersfield, CA
Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Passenger

We, (my husband and I) are booked on this cruise too. I check this web site every day for any tips that will help me plan our trip. We are on the Empress deck , cabin 6186 with a balcony. We are from WI.
Old July 12th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Passenger

Thank you for responding to my post. We are also on the Empress desk, Cabin 6175. I'm 45 and hubby is 51. Let's keep in touch here and plan to meet up on board. I think our biggest challenge will be packing for the flight. As soon as we have our flight arrangements I'll get the weight specification for each suitcase. We drove directly to the port for our past three cruises. I, too, have been online daily seeking tips. 371 days .

P.S. Do you have your passports? We are planning to get them this month.

TTFN,

Susan Steele
Old July 13th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Passenger

This will be great, keeping in touch, discussing the cruise and then meeting on board. I am 50 and my hubby is 55. We are leaving for Alaska either the Fri or Sat before the cruise so we can do some things before we sail. This will be our 5th cruise. I agree I think it will be a challenge to pack for this cruise having to pack fall type clothing instead of warm weather clothes. We have our passports, we got them when we first started cruising it makes everthing so much easier.
Kim
Old July 13th, 2006, 11:53 PM
Passenger

We are also checking into arriving a day or two before the cruise; mostly because we want to break up the travel time (and make sure our luggage arrives with us). For us it's a two hour drive south to LAX, then approx. six hour flight to Anchorage, plus the train ride to Whittier. We may pay extra and fly out of our town to LAX instead of driving. We've got some time to decide.

I am so excited that I started my packing list.

TTFN,

Susan
Old July 14th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Cruise Maniac

We were just on the Carnival Spirit in May, you are in for a wonderful cruise!!!
We were on the Northbound route and finished up the cruise in Whittier. We were told numerous times that we could ride the train from Whittier to Anchorage when we departed, but Carnival had cancelled this. The shore excursion desk said that it wasn't profitable and they had stopped it. You had to make your bus arrangements within 24hrs of boarding the ship in Vancouver. The ship arrived in Whittier around midnight and there were probably 40 trucks waiting to unload the luggage. This unloading of luggage lasted all night. The passengers were allowed to start leaving around 6AM, and there were over 100 buses lined up waiting for the passengers.
I think the bus route and the train route runs side by side, so you would see the same scenery.
My husband was disappointed that we didn't get to ride the train, but we had a wonderful bus driver and he was so much fun.
Maybe by the time you go next year, they will have added the train back as an excursion.
Old July 14th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Admiral

The train and bus are the exact same route, along the Arm, the train does go along the Cook Inlet. There is always the regular run of the Alaska RR around 6pm. Offers the excellent opportunity for a superb glacier boat tour- way superior to anything on your ship. Don't be in a rush to leave Alaska, how often are you going to get there??? This is a top touring area loaded with fantastic vista after vista. Take advantage of being there.
Old July 17th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Passenger

How long is the bus ride from Whittier/Anchorage or Anchorage/Whittier?
Old July 18th, 2006, 07:38 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan071807
How long is the bus ride from Whittier/Anchorage or Anchorage/Whittier?
1 hour 15 min. plus tunnel time.
Old July 18th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Passenger

Default Just returned from Alaska on Spirit

I strongly recommend you SEARCH under author and type in Karen16 for info. She is right on the money on Alaska information. Independent touring pre or post cruise is the way to go. A visit to Denali National Park should not be missed. The weather was awesome for the Northbound 6/28 sailing and I can tell you that we overpacked. Layers are the way to go. Alaska sailings are much more casual even on formal nights (there are 2 of them)--I know that Karen likes to save her $$ for tours instead of booking a balcony cabin---BUT, I was so glad we had one. One morning (5am) as we were approaching Sitka, I heard water rushing (not the usual waves since the ship moves very slowly while in the inside passage)--opened my balcony door and there in front of me was the most magnificent waterfall that I thought I could almost touch!!! A memory never to be forgotten! Upgrade to a balcony and then get a cabin on the left side of the ship for southbound trip. Let me know if you have specific questions.
Old July 25th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Familiar Face

Hi all,
We are booked on the Spirit southbound Aug. 1, 2007.
A small groups first time to Alaska!!! So much to see/do, not enough time/$$.
We are planning a 3 night pre cruise stay in Anchorage/Seward with a rental car.
Will check in on your thread to see what great things you all have planned to do...
I was on the Spirit in 04 for the 8 day Mexico sailing. Great ship!! We are also booked for the special 7 day sailing April 6, 2008 with a large group.

Renee
rdonte@cox.net
Festivale 1990
Tropicale 1992
Holiday 1994
Inspiration 1996
Celebration 1998
Inspiration 2000
Elation 2001
Destiny 2002
Glory 4/24/04
Spirit 10/09/04
Liberty 9/05
Liberty 4/1/06
Spirit 8/1/07 Alaska
Spirit 4/6/08 Mexico
Elation 5/14/09 Catalina
Triumph 9/26/09 New England
Miracle 3/27/11 & 4/4/11 B2B

Next
Spirit 4/28/2012
Old August 21st, 2006, 11:56 PM
Passenger

Feria,

Which nights were formal nights?
Old August 21st, 2006, 11:59 PM
Passenger

rdonte,

Has your group decided what their going to do in Anchorage/Seward? We're still searching.
Old September 13th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Familiar Face

Hi Susan,
We are getting some of our pre cruise land plans in order. Guess we will be doing Major Marines tour in Seward and some sort of kayaking in Homer. Still waiting for the 300 day mark so I can get some air fare rates to compare with what CCL offers. Finding some good hotel or cabin places to stay, just have to decide how many days/nights in each place so I can fine tune the plan and start reserving.
I spoke to one of my travel agents partners that just did the Spirit. Formal nights are the at sea nights on each north and southbound itineraries. She said there were lots of persons dressed up on the first formal but by the last one more choose to eat elsewhere rather than dress up.
Festivale 1990
Tropicale 1992
Holiday 1994
Inspiration 1996
Celebration 1998
Inspiration 2000
Elation 2001
Destiny 2002
Glory 4/24/04
Spirit 10/09/04
Liberty 9/05
Liberty 4/1/06
Spirit 8/1/07 Alaska
Spirit 4/6/08 Mexico
Elation 5/14/09 Catalina
Triumph 9/26/09 New England
Miracle 3/27/11 & 4/4/11 B2B

Next
Spirit 4/28/2012
Old September 15th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Passenger

I would like to hear from a past cruiser that booked cruise/flight/hotel through Carnival what airline/hotel they were given. Thanks a lot.
Old November 27th, 2006, 01:43 PM
First Mate

Default Re: 07/18/07 Carnival Spirit Southbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan071807
Anyone else booked at this time? We're so excited that we have a stickly-note posted to our computer to remind us we can book our shore excursions beginning on Jan. 19, 2007.

Rick & Susan
Bakersfield, CA
congrats on your choice to go to alaska. you are going to have a wonderful time. if you plan to go whale watching with capt.larry in juneau for whale watching call him now. he books very early and it is not too early to book with him now. www.orcaenterprises.com

have a great time.
Old January 21st, 2007, 02:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Spirit SB July 4th

Looks like we will be the SB cruise just before yours..We are on the Empress deck also cabin 6260..Must be a popular deck..I am curious as to what excursions youve booked..So far we have booked Orca Enterprises, Best of Skagway, and a wildlife cruise in Ketchican..

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things
that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ Mark Twain
Old January 22nd, 2007, 10:50 PM
Passenger

KellyW,

Hi. We have booked the following excursions:

Sitka: Semi-Submersible Sea Life Discovery
Captain's Choice Wildlife Quest & Beach Walk
Juneau: Taku Glacier Lodge Flight & Feast
Skagway: Ultimate Yukon & White Pass Railroad Adventure
Ketchikan: Neet's Bay Bear Watch Expedition

Can you tell me where you are flying into, if overnight: where, what airline, etc. We wanted to pay the extra $50 pp to customize our flight, but wondering what everyone else is doing.

Thanks,
Old January 23rd, 2007, 10:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Flight

I wont know any of that info until April whe the TA said our flights would be booked..The TA said our flight wiould be through a major airline like American or Alaska..Our flight would be straight through from LAX to Ankorage...I am thinking very seriously about staying the night before the cruise in Whitter ..I have found a few BandBs in Whitter and hotels..I am going to call my TA today and see what she suggests..Your excursions sound very fun..So far I have planned nothing in Sitka..the tender has me bothered....In Juneau we are whale watching with Captin Larry of Orca enterprises...Skagway we booked the Best of Skagway through Carnival and then Ketchican we are going on a wildlife quest cruise that was free through our TA

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things
that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ Mark Twain