Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 12th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Passenger

Default luggage restrictions

Picked up our travel documents yesterday. For our land tour it suggests to carry all valuables, medicines and anything you want on hand immediately in a carry on bag limited to 17x14x4. Thats a briefcase. Not a carry on bag!
Has anyone run into baggage issues with the size bag you want to carry with you? I know we check a bag per person labeled travel with me and any extra bags join me on board.

Thanks for your help. I'm dreading packing
Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Admiral

jfh,

Picked up our travel documents yesterday. For our land tour it suggests to carry all valuables, medicines and anything you want on hand immediately in a carry on bag limited to 17x14x4. Thats a briefcase. Not a carry on bag!
Has anyone run into baggage issues with the size bag you want to carry with you? I know we check a bag per person labeled travel with me and any extra bags join me on board.

Thanks for your help. I'm dreading packing

This sounds like an overnight bag for the stay at Denali. There's very limited space for luggage on the private railcars, so the cruise lines limit each passenger to an overnight bag for the stay at Denali and transport the rest of your luggage between Anchorage and Fairbanks separately.

Norm.
Old July 12th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Passenger

For your land tour you should take a bag that will hold about 5 days of clothing, and pack your cruise clothes in a larger bag, which will be taken to the ship. Your land tour bag will be picked up at your hotel every morning and moved to your next hotel. The small bag you were advised to carry with you is for your personal needs and is to be carried on to the coaches or the train with you and is not intended to carry your clothing. On our Princess cruise last month, there was plenty of room for carry on bags under the seats on the train and the coaches had storage under the coach while we were moving about.
Old July 15th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Passenger

We each took a carry one (a small rolling one that would fit up the above compartment) & then we each took a "personal bag" - Mark took a soft briefcase with magazines & some snacks, I took a bag with my actual small purse & meds/magazines). For the check in - yes - if you are overweight they will charge you. We were 6# over on 1 bag - took out a rolled garmet bag that was in there & hooked it to our carry on. They said the charge would have been $25, they let you take something out before they check your luggage. Good thing we took carry on as luggage didn't get there until the end of the next day of our landcruise. If you are going on a land cruise like that - keep all cruise stuff separate & take 1 suitcase that will go to your room everynight of you land (the rest can actually be kept in their storage)

Mark&Deb